CALORIES BURNED

Options
Pam3
Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
hi, i just started using my HRM again and notice the big difference between the calories shown(exercise) on MFP and the HRM...anyone else notice this??

Replies

• duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yes my HRM reports much lower calories burned than MFP would give me. But the HRM knows exactly how hard I worked, and MFP doesn't.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The HRM is the more accurate answer because it's on YOUR body, MFP is just an estimate. Sometimes it's higher, sometimes it's lower than an HRM which is why they are a good workout tool.
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use a bodybugg/Body Media Fit band and I go by what it says versus anything else. It knows if I really pushed myself during my Taekwondo or if I just went through the motions. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Workout intensity has a lot to do with this. I can ride my stationary bike for 60 minutes on two different days. One day I'm really going at it and sweating buckets, the other I'm riding it at a slower pace while watching a movie because I figured it was better than watching on the sofa. MFP would give me the same calorie burn for both rides when I obviously didn't expend the same amount of effort.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    MFP has estimated values to assist you. An HRM will give you the accurate readings.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. Not only is the HRM different than MFP, it is way different than the machine you are using. My elliptical will tell me I burned 400 cals but in reality I only burned 200! Major difference!
  • Terriann7
    Options
    Workout intensity has a lot to do with this. I can ride my stationary bike for 60 minutes on two different days. One day I'm really going at it and sweating buckets, the other I'm riding it at a slower pace while watching a movie because I figured it was better than watching on the sofa. MFP would give me the same calorie burn for both rides when I obviously didn't expend the same amount of effort.

Great analogy. Never thought of it that way.