I blew it

Options
Hello to you all. I blew my diet today I went over my calories has anybody ever experienced this lol... Beating myself with a stick right now

Replies

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    We all have them. Just eat better at your next meal. Beating yourself up is never the answer, imho.🙂
  • marvothemustang
    marvothemustang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement I really appreciate you taking time out from your busy day to address this issue. I will heed all the advice given from you thank you
    all.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a food dairy? If you do, log it all and move on. The process is more important than the numbers. If you don’t recall exactly or don’t really know how many calories were in a meal or dish, make a good faith estimate and keep going, Calorie counting doesn’t have to be perfect to work, it just has to be consistent. Find a strategy to deal with counting gray areas and stick to it.

Fact is there are a lot of potential missteps in calorie counting. Everything from loss of concentration due to fatigue or stress to simple math mistakes. I messed up several times before it sunk in that looking at the calories on NI was meaningless without checking the serving size. When we are in a restaurant, that “crusted” fish is code for fried. There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve that doesn’t get much discussion.

Give yourself a break. Weight loss is mostly a matter of problem solving and persistence. Weight loss is the by product of our process. Defend the process and the numbers will take care of themselves in the long run. Good luck.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You didn't blow it. You just took a little break. We all need that every now and again. It helps to get that out of the way and just get back to it. Enjoy that break, don't feel bad. But now that you had it, time to keep on. Not start or restart, but just keep going.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It's no big deal.

Take a few minutes, decide whether those extra calories were worth it (sometimes they are, like at genuine celebratory events, holidays, when presented with some new delicious food to sample . . . .). If so, just go on with your mainstream healthy routine, happily.

If it doesn't seem worthwhile in retrospect, take at most 10 minutes, think about why it happened, what the triggers were. Then, make a plan to avoid repeats, rehearse that plan vividly in your head like a mini-movie so it sticks with you . . . then go on with your healthy routine, happily.

Did you put all your favorite treats off limits? Maybe find a way to fit some in, in reasonable portions, so you don't feel deprived. Trying to lose weight so fast it's unmanageable/impractical to sustain? Eat a bit more food routinely, lose a little slower - that can be faster than periodic over-eating episodes at ultra-low calories other days. Feeling super hungry? Experiment with different food choices or timing to see if some changes help you feel more full, more often. Poor sleep night before? Make it a point to get better sleep. High stress? Find ways to reduce daily stress if possible, or new ways to blow off that stress (a walk, music, prayer/meditation, whatever). And so forth.

Learn from it, adjust your plan if necessary, go on with life.

The impact will likely be less than you think:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1

Guilt and self-recrimination burn no extra calories, and feel icky. Why bother with 'em? 😉
  • marvothemustang
    marvothemustang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I appreciate you all
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone has said. Remember, you can't change the past, but you control the future. The key is not letting one bad meal/day/week make you give up.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Just remember tomorrow is another day it's like a rollercoaster just ride out the blips and enjoy the ride. You can do this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

To add to what others have said, it's also important to realize your calorie target is a deficit target, and often a large one. I think people forget this. I've been over my calorie target many times, but often still under maintenance calories...so still in a deficit. I've also had days over maintenance...in the grand scheme of things, if they aren't regular occurrences, they aren't really material to the big picture. What you're doing most of the time is what matters, not a one off kind of day.

• edwardsc60
    edwardsc60 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

It happens to the best of us!!! The thing I need to watch for is not to tell myself “I’ve blown it now, better eat as much as I can before I get back on the wagon”! That’s a dangerous thought. Now I track, even if it’s over, as that tends to reduce the final damage!

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am going to be careful as Christmas is round the corner and life is too short not to enjoy myself in moderation.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No, no, no…. This is life. It happens. Everyday can’t possibly be a perfect eating day. You’re human…. Acknowledge the mistake and move forward. You’ve got this!
  • HRHJoDee
    HRHJoDee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone can have a dreadful day and blow it. Just get right back on track.