Pregnant: Last weigh in = YIKES!

Options
I have 8 weeks to go in my pregnancy and I thought I was doing ok with putting on "the normal" amount of weight. I wasn't following a strict calorie/fat intake system because I wanted to make sure the baby was growing and healthy. But holy crap! I just went to a doc appointment a few days ago and had gained 7lbs in 2 weeks!!!! WTF!!!!!! Everyone around me has been telling me "how great" I look but I did NOT like that number. Must have been that second piece of cake I ate at the shower, lol. Anyway, it certainly was a wake up call to better watch what I shovel in my mouth and not to give in so often to the cravings (during this pregnancy I CRAVE sugar).

I'm just wondering if any pregnant ladies out there had a sudden "jump" in their pregnancy weight like that? I'm keeping track of my cals/fat intake and eating super healthy to see what the result will be at my next bi-weekly appointment. But I must admit, I am hungry. :(

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're at. I gained 26 lbs in my pregnancy and ended at 246 before I went into labor. If your Dr isn't concerned then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds, 20 of it in the last 2 months. It was water weight and came right off after the baby was born. Took about two weeks
  • melaniejames
    melaniejames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight in the last part of the pregnancy is normal. Your little one is preparing for the world that is about to be and needs to gain. After birth babies tend to loose some weight while they learn to nurse or feed so gaining before birth helps. If you are really worried talk to your doctor but remember if the doc was concerned he or she would have said something to you.
  • Carina116
    Carina116 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i was 137 lbs before i got pregnant and was over 200 lbs the day of my c-section! (no gestational diabetis) my son was 8lbs 10oz. You lose a ton of water weight while your in the hospital. my bearpaw boots were loose the day i left the hospital because my feet had shrunken down a little. and i was in size 9 jeans when my son was 2 weeks old. so it will take some time and you have to wait 6-8 weeks before u exercise anyways lol but save your energy cause you will DEFF need it for taking care of that baby lol enjoy your hours of sleep now! good luck on your pregnancy, labor, and child birth! God Bless.
  • SunSwingsLow
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about the last weigh in to much. Your weight flucuates as much as 3 pounds a day. So your last weigh in could have been lighter and this one heavier.

Dont go hungry, your baby needs nutrients, go healthy in larger quantities.

My wife ate very healthy, worked out 5 times a week pilates, swimming and strength all the way up to 2 weeks before birth. She lost all her baby weight by 7 months and has actually gone 7 pounds under her pre pregnancy weight.
  • lilcowbell
    Options
    The doctor seemed surprised at the number and sorta looked at me like "what's this all about?" lol. She didn't sound overly concerned but said we need to see how things progress as this was the first real big jump in weight. I still couldn't help but feel like she thought I was a big piggie, ha ha. It doesn't help that she is also pregnant, only two weeks behind me and is this teenie weenie thing with a cute bump.

I'm loading up on the "good calories" eating more times throughout the day. I am wondering if water retention may be an issue as well, my feet are very swollen and i no longer have ankles!!! I work 12 hour shifts and have been placed at a desk job so by the end of the day I feel like my lower legs look like tree trunks. (maybe that's why my sister laughed at me the other day when I answered the door in shorts???? lol)

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I will keep on eating healthy and remember my baby is worth a few extra pounds. But maybe I needed to see a big number to be more aware there are some foods the baby and I DON'T need. :)

And kudos to the wife who worked out hard the whole way through!!!! I commend her!