anyone have this issue?

Options
I have always had my weaknesses later in the day to eat sweets- I've curved that a lot- but my problem now is when I don't eat later in the day -before I go to bed my stomach seriously starts to growl. I don't think I am hungry-but sometimes I feel like I am needing something small. What do I do? I don't want to snack at 10 or 11 at night- and I eat dinner between 6-7pm. Please tell me your thoughts or if you ever experience this. Thanks!

Replies

• livnlife
    Options
    From my personal experience I have a small snack like a fruit or vegetables, and a glass of water. Maybe even try a glass of milk
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I always want something sweet at night! I usually will have a 100 calorie pack of something. Or I make a Clean Eating Chocolate Milkshake: 1 banana, 1 cup Greek yogurt or skim milk, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, honey to taste. Blend till smooth. Great for chocolate cravings!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    That late at night, I like an apple.
  • milkinitnow
    Options
    In my past experience, being on Weight Watchers, I always look for low point foods. A good trick for me was to eat Dill Pickles.
    They fill you up and they are (or were, not sure if the program changed) zero points. They are very few calories.
    Drink lots of water for sure during the day, because most of the time when you feel hungry, you are just dehydrated.
    Also, make sure you brush your teeth after you eat. Takes the taste of food away so you won't crave sweets.
    Eat lots of vegetables at dinner. And, for now , maybe you just need to go to bed a bit earlier when you are hungry. Your body will get used to not eating late if you don't do it. Good luck!
  • Janet717
    Janet717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say eat dinner a little earlier if you can and then have a snack. Also eat more protein later in the day it will keep you full longer.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    How about a small piece of dark (or regular) chocolate?
  • shadowfx
    Options
    Maybe try adjusting your protein intake in your evening meal - this generally only happens to me when I've had too many carbs and not enough protein. Water will help.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    I have heard that when your stomach growls it means the fat in your body is telling your brain it needs food. That is Dr. Oz's theory. So...if you are going to eat, choose low fat.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find I'm really hungry before bed and if I just drink water or ignore it, it's hard to go to sleep.
    My solution is almonds - I eat 4 or 6 almonds and even this little amount seems to just settle my stomach down and I go off to sleep happily.
  • kellekaj
    kellekaj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The growl could just be Digestion of your days foods....? I have the same thing and just try my hardest to ignore.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just eat something small, some yogurt, or cottage cheese. There is no rule that says you can't eat that late. That whole "don't eat after this time blah blah blah" is a myth.

Eat a banana, have a glass of milk. If you are hungry eat!
  • tula23
    tula23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it really does not matter what TIME you eat, it's the total calories in a day that matter.
    When my stomach growls late at night, and I still have calories left in the day, I will pop a bag of 94% fat free popcorn. I will sometimes add 1/4 cup dried cranberries if I am craving something sweet. A large glass of water works too.OR I just go to bed with the growlies, knowing that in the morning I feel that much better that I didn't cave into the sweet cravings of chocolate. LOL
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I keep Emeralds Cocoa almonds around. They are just dusted with cocoa but it kills the sweet craving. OR, 100 calorie kettle corn
  • ksabell
    Options
    I have the same problem. I usually grab a small handful of dark chocolate covered almonds and chug some water. usually does the trick!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have heard that when your stomach growls it means the fat in your body is telling your brain it needs food. That is Dr. Oz's theory. So...if you are going to eat, choose low fat.

Fat would growl... I'm seriously laughing to the point of tears right now.. I would suggest a glass of warm milk with a little bit of vanilla and honey :)
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How far apart are your meals? I've heard of trying to eat more, smaller meals spread evenly about your day. If nothing else, you could try an easy snack before bed. Usually a protein and start (peanut butter on bread, or cheese on toast). It's supposed to help you not feel hungry through the night.

--PixarDad
  • musicmint
    Options
    Yeah I have a secret stash of dark dove promises....totally satisfy!
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Fat would growl... I'm seriously laughing to the point of tears right now.. I would suggest a glass of warm milk with a little bit of vanilla and honey :)

me too...such theory ;0)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, leave yourself a few calories at night and have a snack.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I get the munchies at like 2-3 in the morning! i wake up go to bathroom
    and want to eat !! every night I have discovered the gerber (yep toddlers)
    puffs are crunchy sweet and very low calorie one sugar per serv no sodium
    i keep a container on my night stand 25 cal per serv 150 cal for the whole
    container one usually last me a week on night stand