Vetran dieter....myfitnesspal rookie

Options
Hello. New to the site and I am loving it. Just had my 50th bday and it is TIME to get back in shape and eat healthy!!! Question for you dieting pros.....My calorie goal is 1200 daily and that is easu to do. However, everytime I exercise it adds calories. I dont want to eat those and it tells me I am way under calories. How do you guys do the exercise/calorie thing. Thanks

Replies

• laurad8911
    Options
    EAT THEM!!!
  • SandraMtaylor
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!! I try and eat some of the exercise calories. Feel free to add me as a friend! And welcome aboard! This is a wonderful place for motivation and inspiration.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do a search of the forums and you'll find myriads of threads on this topic. I honestly think the best advice is to feel free to eat them if you're hungry, but don't force feed yourself. A lot of people eat back half of them. I sometimes eat them all back, sometimes not. Just bear in mind that MFP has already built the calorie deficit into your intake, and you should lose even if you don't exercise. (not recommending that). Look at your "Goals" page - there is a breakdown there.
  • doc_martin
    Options
    Hello from a Packer fan!

For me, artemisacorn's answer is the philosophy that I've been following. With the calculator the way it is it makes me feel less guilty when I am hungry and do eat more than I normally would.

Go Pack Go!
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The calories are what you need in the day to lose the weight. If you're not meeting the calorie budget then exercise isn't necessary (for weight loss). That's why when you exercise, it adds to the calories...the system wants you to have 1200 calories.

You may want to re-adjust your "sedimentary" settings and exercise goals to reflect this. Also, I agree with @artemisacorn, don't force yourself to eat. If you're not hungry, you're not hungry. But don't feel you have to force yourself to exercise either.

Good Luck!

--PixarDad
  • tkmarble
    tkmarble Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds logical to me...use the extra calories if I am hungry.....dont eat them if I am not hungry...
  • kriscoates
    kriscoates Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't enter my exercise for that reason. I'm not sure if there is a setting to turn that off.