New Food - Almond Breeze

Options
Today I've tried my first nondairy bev. I don't normally drink a glass of milk, just in coffee, oatmeal, baking etc.

It definatly has a strong taste (I bought the chocolate unsweetened) of almond, and I'm curious how the sweeetened variety tastes.

I've tried once before getting something different like Silk and do not enjoy it at all.

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Almond breeze IMO is better than anything else, I haven't tryed unsweetened but the original was good!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I drink the choc I like it a lot
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I use store brand (kroger) and if I can't find that, I will use silk. I was not a fan of the flavors of almond breeze, personally

I have troubles with lactose so for months now I have been buying almond milk as a substitute. I feel like it tastes the same, especially in cereal or cooking recipes. A tall glass of almond milk though does have a distinct difference to it's cows milk brethren.

I have not tried the unsweetened version, haven't been able to find it. But I do like the vanilla and original flavors best. the chocolates have been far too strong for my taste
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I really love the plain, unsweetened, but I started off with sweetened for a few months. so yummy!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I buy the Aldi brand of almond milk. Original flavor. It's not the unsweetened, but the flavor is fabulous and it's only about 2 bucks a half gallon instead of the hefty 3.49 of the Almond Breeze or Silk brands.
  • justine5587
    justine5587 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    speaking of non dairy beverage, I love the Organic Chocolate fortified soy beverage from President's Choice.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&brandId=1&tags=100086&tags=100094&productId=18152

(it's not the right picture... but the CHOCOLATE is so good, doesn't taste like other brands!) :P
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    I LOVE Almond Breeze!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Meh, almond milk is overrated. Almond Breeze is mostly water, flavorings, and stabilizers, with some fortified vitamins thrown in and very few almonds. Definitely not worth it for the price. Plus I tend to stay away from anything that lists one of their ingredients as "natural flavor," because "natural flavor" on an ingredient list is code word for "artificial chemical to make this taste good."
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not for people with allergies and skin conditions is it overrated.
  • 3menandamom
    Options
    I have been getting the Silk (mainly because of availability and coupons). I prefer the regular unsweetened because I can regulate the sugar. Normally I put in a few drops of Stevia. One could also use agave nectar.... or artificial sweetener, if you choose.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not for people with allergies and skin conditions is it overrated.

Better off making your own. Easy, most likely cheaper, and you can put what you want in it.

You can find dozens of recipes online. Heck, try making walnut milk, or cashew milk. I pretty much put store bought almond milk in the same category as any other processed food. Tons of unnecessary, artificial things in it, that I'd rather go without.