I want to be fabulous by fifty...

Options
which is just a short 2 years (and several pounds) away!

I've been married over 20 years to a man who is training for a marathon. Meanwhile, I'm 5'3" and weigh over 200 pounds! We are the proud parents of two beautiful kids who still live with us. Our son just started college and our daughter is a junior in high school.

I've been tracking my calorie and exercise intake since September 1 after the doctor told me I was .02% away from being put on meds for diabetes. I SO don't want to go there!!!

I've been using another calorie tracking app but kept having to look up the calories of foods and would find them at MFP. I finally decided it would be easier to simply move my data over here, so here I am. (I like that strength and cardio exercises have separate entries - not that I've done any strength training, yet, but I'm planning on starting this weekend.)

I have lost 7 pounds in two weeks since tracking calories and exercising (11 pounds since August 1). I don't feel much smaller but I do feel a whole lot stronger, already. (It's amazing how quickly the body adjusts to exercise!!)

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hello".

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome and good luck.
  • chisaime
    Options
    Good for you!! Hang in there - I know 50 is looming and I feel the same way. 7 pounds in 2 weeks is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!!
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Welcome and good luck !!
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm right there with you. 48, 5'1", husband is a runner and one son in college and the other a sophomore in high school. Congratulations on the 7 pound weight loss! That's what I've lost in 2 months! :) Friend me if you like.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I only have 2 weeks to go!!!

You've made a great start, and have chosen a great site, you go for it!

GG
  • cyndigre
    cyndigre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am fifty and just started about a month ago. I have lost 10 lbs. ( It says 7 because I put the wrong starting weight in). I think this is a great tool and several of us are using it. Good luck to you!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard -- looking forward to those "before and after" pictures you will be posting in relatively near future. I'm 49 and this does work.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! I'm in the same boat...2 years from 50, and I want to be fabulous, fit and fierce before then!! :happy:
  • shadowfx
    Options
    Right there with ya. I'll be 50 in 2 years too (4'11"), and I SWEAR all this blubber will be goneburgers by then. I'm going to celebrate my 50th a svelte 60kg, mark my words. 3 pounds down and 57 to go!
  • celinborromeo
    Options
    You can do it!!! I've been exercising for a month now and I've only lost 3lbs. It's very disappointing but I'm not giving up. Goodluck to you!
  • celinborromeo
    Options
    I like that verse! We need to build one another so we can reach our goals.
  • sxyasnmom
    sxyasnmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You sound a LOT like me!!! I started at 196lbs. last July 2010 and did NOT want to be in the 200's in my small 5'1" frame before my 45th birthday! I was huffing and puffing just going up 1/2 flight of stairs or walking 1/2 block. I have hashimoto's disease (hypo-thyroidism), diabetes and kidney disease. I was taking medication for each one.

So, here I am a year later. After losing about 75lbs. I had reached my initial weightloss goal of 120lbs. I gave myself a break and gained back 10lbs. but am now getting back on track and plan to lose another 30lbs. to be about 100lbs (or 10-12% BF, whichever comes first) I'm looking forward to toning up and getting six-pack abs (or even a 4-pack is good). My Dr. has been amazed with my accomplishment and I have OFFICIALLY been cleared of being diabetic!!! YAY!!! No more medication! No surgery, No fad diets, No gimmicks = A very happy woung woman!!

Best of luck to you!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be 50 in a year and 3 months and I am hoping that I will be a hot chick!!!..lol The only time I was "sexy" was at 19 when I was anorexic! So I don't even go there!

Anyways, welcome and good luck on your journey.. with the help of MFP friends, u surely will get there!!! :smile:
  • zeedance
    Options
    Cyndigre wrote: ( It says 7 because I put the wrong starting weight in). I think this is a great tool and several of us are using it. Good luck to you!

Thanks Cyndigre! 10 pounds is fantastic!! I just figured out how to add past weights. I think you can edit mistakes, too. Go to "My Home" and click on "Check-In". Hopefully that will help.
  • tula23
    tula23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are doing great by being here. I am 51 and mom to 2 as well.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You can be fabulous by fifty!! When I went through menopause, I gained twenty pounds practically overnight!! I was a runner but could not drop the weight. I found this site and it was a miracle for me. In about three months I lost twenty pounds and for the first time in a number of years I was under my pre-menopausal weight!! I am only three pounds from my goal weight of 125. Once I get there I will see if I want to go down to 120. As an endurance athlete (at age 52), I am finding that I can run faster, the leaner I get. I feel fantastic and do NOT look my age. People think I'm 5-10 years younger than I really am.

You do not want to become a full-blown diabetic. Do this for yourself, your husband, and your kids!! Once you start losing and feeling better, you won't want to go back.

Who knows..... you just might start running with your husband!! I didn't start running until I was 44!! :drinker: