1200cal / Day - Breakfast ideas help!

Options
First post here!

Successfully losing gradually and consistently on 1200cal but getting bored with breakfast.

I have my day split 300 breakfast / 100 snack / 300 lunch / 100 snack / 300 dinner / 100 snack (or load this to lunch if I feel like busting something really calorie dense out!). Rarely hungry, eat boatloads of salad vegetables. Carbs are naturally quite low - though this isn't something I have designed.

Breakfast is usually 100g unsweetened natural greek yoghurt, 1 serve high quality whey protein, frozen berries. Long black, splash of low fat milk.

But I'm getting oh so bored with it! I've tried running it through Eat this Much, but the options I'm getting aren't the kind of foods I'd normally eat for breakfast!

Hoping someone can give me some ideas! No allergies or restrictions.

Replies

• TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Try a quick omelet? This is a common lunch option for me but equally would work for breakfast:

1 Serving is approximately 160KCals (640 KJoules)

1 medium egg, scrambled
    A sprinkle of greens (I like Spinach)
    A sprinkle of chopped mushrooms
    10 Grams of grated edam cheese or diced fresh cheese (I like camembert)
    Salt & Pepper as required

Handy Hints:
    I use a non-stick pan so no butter or oil is required
    I don't add milk to my eggs ever (buy fresh eggs if you can - they ARE better)
    Add or subtract options to adjust your desired calorie intake.
    You could add toast, or add another egg, for example. I sometimes add leftover meats as additional toppings.

Edited to add - Another Handy Hint:
    When I am pressed for time I make a large bowl of scrambled egg mix with toppings mixed in.
    I then spoon into muffin tins and cook
    Each omelet "muffin" is then a serving that can be refrigerated for several days before consumption.
    Can be eaten hot or cold as desired.
    My boys really like it when I make these (with cheese, bacon & mushrooms) and put them in their lunchboxes.

e85mgb571tw4.jpg
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    2 eggs + 1 slice of American Cheese + 3 turkey sausage links = 290
    Sub the sausage for a tortilla, toss in 10 calories (2tbsp) of salsa and make it a breakfast wrap
    Turn 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bread + margarine or light mayo and make it a sandwich
    Kodiak Cakes Chocolate Chip Protein Oatmeal = 200 (add greek yogurt (about 80-110), make it an with milk/add milk after making, or just toss a tablespoon of Peanut butter into it for 100 and you'll get that 300.
    Kodiak cakes protein oatmeal (plain) is 190. Season/flavor with what you want.

Honestly with 300 calories most traditional breakfast foods are on the table with minor changes (ie: low fat or turkey versions of them)

• booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 calories for almost two years to get to maintenance. I enjoy this breakfast so much I have had it 99% of the days since August '19. I actually make it with more of the spices than this. I only started adding the cayenne this summer.

This is about 250 calories. You could eat more yogurt or add a small piece of fruit, or tablespoon or so of nuts to get to 300ish.

1/3 cup non-fat greek yogurt
    coffee with about 1/4 cup non-fat milk
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats, cooked in 1 cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

add it to

2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of water, sweetener (stir, stir, stir into a paste) in my cereal bowl

add 1/4 cup non-fat milk
  • XxxSaddixxX
    XxxSaddixxX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    250ml v8 original juice, 50cal
    1 cup of lipton intense black tea, 4 cal
    30 ml long life full cream milk 19cal
    10 green grapes 34cal.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Shakshuka ; 262 calories + calories of olives.
    1 tsp olive oil
    garlic powder or fresh garlic
    2 medium tomatoes
    50 g onion
    40 g capsicum
    1 tsp tomato paste
    20 g green olives
    2 large eggs
    a pinch of each ,smoked paprika ,cumin, salt and pepper
    a bit of cilantro to garnish
    Cook everything in a pan
    add 2 eggs , cover the pan until the eggs cooked to your liking.
    Very tasty and easy to cook.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I often eat an egg, spinach, bean omelette. Two eggs, a cup of chopped spinach and add in .5 cup of black beans for carbs. It's around 300 calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    4 egg omelet. One whole egg, three egg whites. toss the yolks, they are no help. 120 calories and a great base for adding your other favorite ingredients.
  • bormongeo
    bormongeo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! Some great tips - think I will have to consider making some cooked breakfasts. I like eggs, I just find I don't bother cooking them for myself unless I'm cooking them for someone else as well.

I think when "Mumming" you end up at the bottom of the pile and breakfast is something you stuff in your mouth while getting everyone else ready. I make lovely lunches (usually some form of Buddha bowl) and nice dinners - it is just breakfast that usually isn't given too much consideration and ends up being something that serves the purpose rather than something that you enjoy eating!

@callsitlikeiseeit - appreciate the concern - not struggling with the low calories at all, just the variety! I'm not losing fast at all, just steady and consistent. I'm a shortie and relatively sedentary (WFH desk job + home duties), so the 1200 is pretty spot on. Once I start consistently hitting my weekly k's of dedicated walking exercise to past the 18k mark I'll probably increase the calories a bit, but as it stands currently I'm probably only walking about 10k / week as exercise which is pretty low! The dog is unimpressed :D You are so right on Macros - I'd not really done that before, but this time I'm paying more attention and I can definitely make connections between how I feel and what I've eaten in terms of the splits.

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are your friend make anabolic french toast tons of recipes on youtube
    Oatmeal
    Smoothies
    chicken/turkey sausage with a whole egg and some eggwhites or all eggwhites
    Look up low cal pancakes and top with pb2 powder pb
    Breakfast tacos
    Egg cups with a fruit
    Low cal protien muffins
    Cottage cheese with berries
    Toast with pb2 and half a banana
    I think most freezer protien pancakes and waffles are under 300 calories

LORD JESUS IS KING OF KINGS
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Porridge with apple and cinnamon- I always through a handful of almonds in there - but they're high calorie if you're on 1200 cals.
    Greek yoghurt with Berries and nuts - same again with the nuts.
    Some sort of eggs with veggies and cheese - I normally have toast and avocado - to lower the calories leave out the toast and cheese.
    Making little muffin tin fritattas are good if you have no time as they freeze well and can be put in the microwave and contain minimal calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    bormongeo wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies! Some great tips - think I will have to consider making some cooked breakfasts. I like eggs, I just find I don't bother cooking them for myself unless I'm cooking them for someone else as well.

I think when "Mumming" you end up at the bottom of the pile and breakfast is something you stuff in your mouth while getting everyone else ready. I make lovely lunches (usually some form of Buddha bowl) and nice dinners - it is just breakfast that usually isn't given too much consideration and ends up being something that serves the purpose rather than something that you enjoy eating!

@callsitlikeiseeit - appreciate the concern - not struggling with the low calories at all, just the variety! I'm not losing fast at all, just steady and consistent. I'm a shortie and relatively sedentary (WFH desk job + home duties), so the 1200 is pretty spot on. Once I start consistently hitting my weekly k's of dedicated walking exercise to past the 18k mark I'll probably increase the calories a bit, but as it stands currently I'm probably only walking about 10k / week as exercise which is pretty low! The dog is unimpressed :D You are so right on Macros - I'd not really done that before, but this time I'm paying more attention and I can definitely make connections between how I feel and what I've eaten in terms of the splits.

How about hard boiled eggs, made ahead (or even purchased pre-cooked), if you like them? You can do enough for a few days and keep them in the fridge. It's not everyone's thing, but I love pickled hard-boiled eggs, too, and those will keep for up to 3-4 months, refrigerated.

I'd also second the "egg muffins" or "mini frittatas" idea. You'll find many, many recipes for those (or similar things like quinoa bites) on the web, but basically it's some combo of eggs-veg-meat-cheese-seasonings. They're quick to make, keep in the fridge for several day, or frozen for much longer, and if you put them in a bag or box in the freezer, they don't take much space. (I have a big freezer, so I do them in reuseable one-cup tempered glass bowls that have snap-on lids for the freezer stage.) Brief zap in microwave, and they're ready to eat.

If you don't have muffin tins, you can make them in a cake pan, just need to cut them before freezing, maybe smoosh a little to keep a thinner "score line" if you freeze in the pan, so you can break them apart if they freeze together a bit.

Some forms of breakfast burritos can also be made ahead, frozen. With a reduced carb or nutrient-dense wrap, they can be calorie and nutrient efficient.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks can be ditched in other dishes as well. Since they are mostly fat they add a calorie density that makes fitting them in a challenge. Not to worry, egg salad can be well made with four hard boiled eggs: one whole, three whites, yolks in the bin. I notice that the second difficult ingredient, mayo, is needed in a much lower quantity with only one yolk in the mix. Or, substitute ripe avocado for the mayo.
  • elaroch05
    elaroch05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal and fresh berries :) Egg white omelet with veggies would also be easy. You could also premake things like egg and veggie muffins for an easy breakfast that can be microwaved...like this: https://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/