chicken breast calories

Options
I was looking at chicken breast labels, what caught my eye that one package says 110 calories another package says 120 calories. Which is the accurate calories for the skinless breast, or should I looked up the accurate calories on google.

Replies

• zblev
    zblev Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Honestly you’ll find calorie variations on lots of food items. From one brand to the next the nutrition label may be slightly off. The main thing is to be consistent. Weigh out the chicken on a food scale raw and log it per the brand nutrition label. You’ll be fine. Example is eggs. Some say 60 cal some say 70 cal. MFP is not totally accurate anyways.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if the difference is only 10 calories, count yourself lucky. Some of the MFP entries are off by HUNDREDS of calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I was looking at chicken breast labels, what caught my eye that one package says 110 calories another package says 120 calories. Which is the accurate calories for the skinless breast, or should I looked up the accurate calories on google.

When you log whole foods, use the entries taken from the USDA database rather than the product label. They figure out calories based on an average of the hundreds that they test. To find it (for example for boneless skinless chicken breasts) enter "chicken breast boneless skinless raw usda" and this is what came up "Chicken Breast, Skinless, Boneless, Raw - 05062
    Usda, 100 g, 120 calories

The numbers (05062) are the item number from the actual USDA database. This can be used no matter what country you live in. The USDA has done the most extensive testing of foods.

Obviously, for a manufactured food you should stick to the package label.