I am sure this has probably been asked before

Options
Anyway, I would like to know what are some things you pack for lunch?? I am a hairstylist so I need something that can be ready in just a few minutes. I got the prepackaged stuff for this week. I just get tired of pita sandwiches (or any sandwich) over and over which is what I typically do when I am trying to watch what I eat. I am sure this is probably much easier than I make it but it is what I have struggled with all my life. I like variety. (Another reason weight loss attempts failed. I always had the same thing over and over. And typically I do not eat the same thing twice in a two week time period...other than breakfast foods...or if I can do it even a month or more!)

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    pb and j all the way.
  • kimberly130
    Options
    this it a great question!
    Home made salad w/grilled chicken, soups are quick too but this gets boring quickly. I usually bring a smaller portion of whatever i made for dinner to lunch, a quick zap in the microwave and i can eat it pretty quickly. You can also try eating throughout the day small meals every 2-3 hrs. I also like the bumble bee tuna with 5 wheat crackers. Its 150 calories and they are pretty tasty!

Try a protein shake, I use 2 cups skim milk, 2 scoops of choco powder and a banana with ice and blend. its really good!

got this from someone here on MFP

"Try using almond milk - it has a lot less calories than regular OR skim milk. If you get the unsweetened kind, it only has 35 calories/cup. I use 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup Tazo organic chai, ice, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder every morning to make my protein shake and it tastes just like a vanilla chai tea latte!"
  • CJsSweetMom
    CJsSweetMom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So I just posted this on another thread, but I will share with you as well :) I make a hummus, cream cheese and veggie wrap every day for lunch. It is only about 250 cal, but it is really satisfying. 1 tbs of Cream cheese, 2 tbs of you fave hummus, cucumber slices, red bell peppers, avocado, sprouts /spinach, all wrapped nicely in a wheat tortilla. For protein I will often toss in a sliced up boca burger or boca ground. Tastes great and its portable and easy :) I hope you like it as much as I do!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like making chili and freezing it in baggies. then letting it defrost during the morning then by Lunch, pouring it into a bowl and microwaving it for a bit,
    Add brown Rice is a great filler to
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I try to keep fresh salad makings in my fridge and then in the morning I can just toss in a bit of lettuce, dry coleslaw mix, tomato, cucumber and capsicum into a tupperware container. I keep a bottle of no fat salad dressing in the fridge at work to add at the last moment cos I don't like soggy salad. For protein I'll add some chicken breast or tuna. Yummy, crunchy and quite filling. Plus it doesn't go cold when I get the inevitable lunch time phone call!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    brown rice and beans
    broccoli and cheese
    veggie burger with no bread
    veggie sausage
    pasta
    all microwaved
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    cold pasta salads, carrots and hummus, wraps, hard boiled eggs, PB apples, wontons with asian sauce, veggie salads, fruit salads, yogurt.....I tend to make a lot of different types of salads and make my own trial mixes...
  • CullenV
    Options
    Anything that you make at home with measured ingredients that can be eaten cold or reheated. The key is portion control. I love pasta salad so I use whole wheat pasta and pack it full of veggies and tuna so I get full with eating less pasta. A cold lunch one day and hot leftovers the next keeps variety in it for me. There are some great recipes on here under that catagory that are great reheated.

I'm on my feet all day too, so I know how hard it is to have a real "break". You should take things that you are excited to eat- not that you consider "diet food". There are bound to be ways to make your favorites in a healthier manner so you enjoy your break and take the time for yourself. You clients will be happier knowing you are in a great mood as well! : )

Best of luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well some might argue that you shouldn't eat anything you don't prepare yourself but I often have the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers for lunch. They have lots of nutrition, several varieties, and they have less than 350 calories. They are small, but I eat several meals during the day so it is only a couple of hours after lunch that I am eating again. Hope this helps.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. This site is so helpful. I am sure I will get the hang of measuring things out and packaging leftovers myself. Seems like convenience is what causes a lot of the pain now. So, I need to learn to fight the convenience trap. I can't be too tired or whatever reason to take the extra time to do for me. Thanks again
  • NorthernCally
    Options
    ...I just get tired of pita sandwiches (or any sandwich) over and over which is what I typically do when I am trying to watch what I eat. I am sure this is probably much easier than I make it but it is what I have struggled with all my life. I like variety... I always had the same thing over and over. And typically I do not eat the same thing twice in a two week time period...

I had a desk job for 15 years, and sometimes found it a struggle to have a "decent" lunch. When I was really trying to watch what I ate, I would bring a sandwich (sorry!) and soup. Even if you only had soup once a week, you can find different varieties. Salads are also a good pick, since you can put so many different ingredients in them.

I also took in left-overs of the previous night's dinner. But, you like variety, right? Well, if you are already planning meals so that you don't have the same thing twice (in whatever time period), how about making enough for another serving and freezing it? Alternate it with soups, salads and the prepackaged stuff.

Or, if you are friends with anyone else you work with, do a pot-luck. You each find a healthy (or healthier) new recipe, and bring in enough for everyone else to try a bit. That could work even if you have different lunch times, and it can be a great way to find new recipes you like.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    So I just posted this on another thread, but I will share with you as well :) I make a hummus, cream cheese and veggie wrap every day for lunch. It is only about 250 cal, but it is really satisfying. 1 tbs of Cream cheese, 2 tbs of you fave hummus, cucumber slices, red bell peppers, avocado, sprouts /spinach, all wrapped nicely in a wheat tortilla. For protein I will often toss in a sliced up boca burger or boca ground. Tastes great and its portable and easy :) I hope you like it as much as I do!

You had me until the wheat wrap. SIGH, I cannot eat them. I wonder if this would tasted good with a lettuce wrap. Have you ever tried that?