Exercise - Burning 6000 calories a week

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are pretty near the Thames, there's quite a few rowing clubs if you fancy on the water.

(I'm a bit further upstream near Hampton Court and would be spoiled for choice if it were my thing.)
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The only thing I can add is you ought to get to the root of your balky knee problem either through a doctor, trainer or both. I’d want to know if it is truly a problem that could get worse through exercise or something minor, ie muscle imbalance, tightness or something else that can be improved or eliminated through appropriate stretching and exercise.

Edit: I see that the above issue was raised so I’ll just second looking into it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    To get that much, it would have to be somewhat low intensity cardio that you'd be able to do frequently for long durations. Running/jogging would definitely not work - it would take possibly years to work up to that kind of volume. Cycling (150-200 ish miles per week) would possibly be the most viable option...but you'd definitely still want to work up to that.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your program! Calorie burn doesn't really matter too much as you get underway.

The only thing that really matters is not stopping until exercise becomes a habit. So just make a decision not to stop. The physical benefits and sense of well being you'll get from regular exercise are worth every minute spent doing it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Just thought i would post an update - i had my first personal training session in about 5 years today (add general idleness, a baby, pandemic and 50 lbs in that period) and after an hour of a workout hard enough to make me throw up (literally) according to my Fitbit i burned 350 calories. The workout mainly involved weightlifting but was hard enough to make me seriously sweat. Needless to say, i will not be burning 6000 cals a week from exercise anytime soon :D

And as a couple comments mentioned regarding calorie burns from lifting - HR-based calorie burn calculations (like Fitbit is doing) are ONLY a valid estimate (and even then with caveats) for steady-state aerobic exercise.

Your workout was totally opposite - anaerobic if lifting and done right, HR up and down constantly.
    So even that 350 given calorie burn was inflated - probably closer to 200-250.

You've really setup impossible parameters to reach your goal as you seem to recognize now.

Sweating means you were hot, nothing to do with calorie burn or even intensity - but good job. Though if to puking stage you may need a bit of recovery now. So a workout tomorrow may not go so well or as intense.

While 2lbs weekly loss rate could be reasonable for MORE than 50 lbs to lose - it also depends on what stress your body is under.
    If under 50 lbs - than 2 lbs no longer reasonable but more likely extreme - body doesn't like extremes - it'll adapt.
    And if you have illness body is dealing with, even a slower rate may be needed.
    How much left to healthy weight?

Very few people actually have a slow metabolism more than 5% under calculated, even with thyroid problems. That effect is just being tired and moving less, not base metabolism.
    And exercise isn't going to increase that metabolism much at all. Unless you mean something else by metabolism.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Just thought i would post an update - i had my first personal training session in about 5 years today (add general idleness, a baby, pandemic and 50 lbs in that period) and after an hour of a workout hard enough to make me throw up (literally) according to my Fitbit i burned 350 calories. The workout mainly involved weightlifting but was hard enough to make me seriously sweat. Needless to say, i will not be burning 6000 cals a week from exercise anytime soon :D

Did you literally vomit? (Rhetorical question, you don't need to answer.) If you did vomit, was your trainer OK with that? IMO s/he shouldn't be! Vomiting generally is not good for you, and you want to avoid frequent repeats.

If that's happening, loosely a couple of things could be in play (and maybe some others I'm not thinking of right now).

One is timing of eating around the workout. Some people find that if they eat (a particular volume, or particular foods, or just anything) close to a workout, then digestive consequences happen. On the flip side, being super empty/hungry (or seriously under-hydrated) can potentially do the same thing. Consider that, and experiment/adjust. People differ, so I can't be more specific.

Another is physiologic consequences of the exercise intensity or total cumulative stress (from the physiology of the exercise, but potentially augmented by other stressors in the situation). Again, it's somewhat individualized . . . which is not to say there's anything wrong with the *people* who experience those consequences! What's wrong is the circumstances/outcome, and the training needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I don't want to get too speculative, but things like lactate tolerance might be in the picture. Also, warming up gradually may be helpful.

I do a sport (and earned coaching certs in it) in which vomiting at competitions (or extreme training sessions) can occur. There are trash cans strategically placed at major competitions just in case. However, routinely vomiting is Not A Good Thing. I can't diagnose you over the internet, but if it's happening for you because of exercise intensity, very generally find the edge, and work *sometimes* manageably close to that edge - not *always* close to it - and that can help move the threshold. As a baseline, use stress management techniques (breathing, etc.) if feasible to reduce the non-exercise-specific stress component.

You should not be vomiting workout after workout. NotNotNot.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ann. You sound a lot like my wife -- full steam ahead, has to back off, gets injured, full steam ahead, gets discouraged and quits, back at it harder, repeat insanity...

Consistent, gradual, incremental improvements in fitness are the best way. Sustainability is so important.

Out of curiosity, I ran my weekly exercise calorie numbers up. I did 4950 last week. I literally started after a knee injury around 15 years ago (I was an athlete in my youth but took around 20 years off of being physically active outside of a job). I couldn't walk at that time and started out with just a few revolutions on a Stationary Bike and working up to walking again -- sometimes just a few steps -- later into a few hundred steps.

I can't overemphasize enough that you should do only what you can without too much pain or soreness (or vomiting) and just be super consistent. If I can come as far as I have, you can too. You're way ahead of me now, just slow down and stay safe!