Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Forum Change

Options

Replies

• s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,499 Member
    Options

Thanks @Betty for the update. I worked in SW development for over 30 years, and know the headaches of trying to update software that used technology that the vendor no longer supports, and then dealing with user complaints about how it doesn't work like the old releases!

Not that I'm going to refrain from griping about things that seem problematic for users. 💢

Now that I'm old and retired, I feel totally empowered to act like an end-user! 🤣

On the plus side, I do like the plethora of emojis that are now easily accessible. 👍️

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,818 MFP Staff
    Options

Apologies, to further explain, our forums are hosted by a company that specializes in forums. MyFitnessPal developers don't actually work on the forums, our forum provider does. They maintain the health of our forums and provide us with updates and new features that we are then able to use in our forums. We made the switch to a forum provider back in 2014.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It looks good to me. It keeps my eyes focused, and it even makes different posts more distinct. That's my own preference, though. You may want to add a poll for it.

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,909 Member
    Options

What happened to the search function? If I wanted to check back in on something I'd posted (or sometime else) I could search by my name and see everything I'd posted. That appears to be gone. It is really hard to navigate the site now - especially on my phone. Good news - I think I just fed up a lot of time I'd been spending on mfp.

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,818 MFP Staff
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @amusedmonkey. We'll definitely mull over some of the feedback in this thread and come up with some surveys or polls for some future changes.

• s1im62
    Options

Yes, I've often used the search function within a discussion. If it isn't made available in the new interface I'll certainly miss it.

I did try the top-level search function. It has some good filter features, but it doesn't seem to provide a way to easily limit my search to posts in a particular discussion, and it's not as conveniently accessible for a quick check when I don't want to navigate outside the current discussion.

• amusedmonkey
    Options

I don't know if this is by design or a bug, but when I quoted your post earlier it replaced the image with a non-clickable link.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I dont like the avatar pics being so much smaller- harder to see who wrote a post.

Also seems no way of seeing threads I marked with yellow star before - I can see all notifications but each marked thread.

at least we have way more smileys - that's one good thing 🤪🤩😎

• s1im62
    edited November 2021
    Options

The yellow stars were for bookmarked threads/discussions @paperpudding. I was not seeing those at first, but then found that these are still there (on the far right-hand side of the discussions list) but now look like a bookmark instead of a star. It appears as a black outline for threads you have not bookmarked, and is solid blue for those you have bookmarked, like so:

• cmsienk
    edited November 2021
    Options

Also, why is everything double-spaced

all of a sudden? And please bring back the BBcode

that let us italicize and bold things. And the spoiler function so we can hide large posts and pictures to make scrolling through things faster.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, @Betty

Is there anything in the works for a color scheme that’s easier on the eyes? On the iOS app, at least, there is a tremendous amount of bright white space causing the need to squint, and relatively thin font. It’s painful to use, painful on the eyes. I haven’t found a way around this in the accessibility settings.

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@Betty The copy paste functionality behaves in a strange manner. Many of us do challenges where we copy our post prior post and add the new days information. The paste is putting adding line breaks. Why? Paste should leave the format the same.

I'm not against change but change should be an improvement and this is not.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Yes I can see those.

But you used to be able to see how many new posts in a thread and go straight to there via a yellow star by the notifications bell at top right of whole page

Now there is just my avatar to click into my profile, the notificans bell which brings up each post and the search icon.

• s1im62
    edited November 2021
    Options

Yeah, @paperpudding I understand what you're saying. I do a lot of my online posting via my computer, and the phone interface looks a good bit different.

In both the computer and phone interface renderings, you get a 'new' indication on each listed discussion if there were any posts since your last visit. The number of new posts is no longer provided. 😕

On my computer, the Quick Links lets me access 'My Bookmarks' list via a panel located near the top right of the page:

On my (Android) phone the Quick Links appear when I scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

In each instance the 'My Bookmarks' link replaces the functionality of the yellow star to show the list. On the phone it isn't as convenient as the old way, but it is there.

• amusedmonkey
    edited November 2021
    Options

Yeah, I miss this feature the most. When I come back to 30 new replies I don't want to be weeding through 30 notifications. Used to be that I only needed to quickly look at 2-4 threads with the number of new posts next to them.

Edit: Also, link back in quotes is confusing. The nested quote system worked well to chronologically view the conversation. Now you need to click a link to see a previous quote and then you're yanked out of your current location and have to scroll back to where you were to continue reading.

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,243 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @MyFitnessPal
    What text editor are you now using?
    This editor doesn't seem to support the same set of features as the old one.
    Or perhaps it does now, but didn't a while ago?
    I appreciate that change.
    (I take it back. BBCode is not being processed consistently in other discussions!)
  • cmsienk
    edited November 2021
    Options

Can we get the spoiler back too please? I was just checking to see if those were working.

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,243 Member
    Options

@Betty

I too was a SW developer for over 30 years. Frankly, I would have thought you would have implemented this magnitude of a change on a test server first. If any alpha or beta testing was done, it was sorely lacking.

That said, we are where we are. I hope you will enable BBCode in the editor so that we can use not only italic, bold and strikethrough, but also [u]underline[/], [color=blue]text color[/color], left/center/right, etc. And please tell us what text editor is being used so that we can research which BBCode features it supports.

• amusedmonkey
    edited November 2021
    Options

Spoiler is under paragraph formatting. Click the paragraph mark symbol, then special formats, then spoiler.

Press the down arrow to type out of the spoiler box.

This discussion has been closed.