Adipex??

Options
I have a few friend that are on the pill now. They have lost about 20 lbs in just a few weeks. Has anyone here tried it or know more about it?

Replies

• twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's an amphetamine so it will suppress your appetite. I have a friend who used it and lost a lot a weight. But she gained it all back and then some once she got off of it.
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    sounds scary
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My own correction* it acts like an amphetamine. It's still a controlled substance.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    oh dear, I shall say this just to watch the post blow up! If you search phentermine you will come across plenty of topic lines about it. I have used it, and am still losing after it so I will keep my story short and simple (you can look up the long version on another post)

If you use it as a TOOL to learn proper portion size and how to fill ourself up with low calorie foods and DO NOT THINK OF IT AS A MIRACLE PILL then yes it can definently help ALOT.

I do not necessarily agree with the use for people with less that 50ish lbs to lose but at the same time that last 20-30 is the hardest and as long as you learn the habits totally worth it
  • annie4993
    annie4993 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oops, wrong post, sorry
  • timgordon24
    Options
    oh dear, I shall say this just to watch the post blow up! If you search phentermine you will come across plenty of topic lines about it. I have used it, and am still losing after it so I will keep my story short and simple (you can look up the long version on another post)

If you use it as a TOOL to learn proper portion size and how to fill ourself up with low calorie foods and DO NOT THINK OF IT AS A MIRACLE PILL then yes it can definently help ALOT.

I do not necessarily agree with the use for people with less that 50ish lbs to lose but at the same time that last 20-30 is the hardest and as long as you learn the habits totally worth it

Due to hypentension/high blood pressure, I'm only on a 1/2 pill of it a day. Can you still overeat while taking it? yes. It's not a miracle pill/drug, as Heatherbelle said. But if u have trouble keeping yourself feeling "full", then it does help to slow the cravings I was off of it for a month, so the dr could see how it was doing; it wasn't pretty w/o it!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My husband took it for 6 months and lost about 60 pounds. He took the required 6 months off and gained about 20 back but when he got back on it the second time it messed with his emotions terribly and he had to get back off of it. He became hostile, paranoid, depressed, etc. We aren't sure why it didn't have this effect on him the first time. He has gained about 40 of his 60 pounds back. But like the other poster said, he didn't change his eating habits long-term like he should have. I tried to take it myself but it made me very jittery and sad so I quit. Different people have different results.
  • wmjessicalaine
    wmjessicalaine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try. I've been taking a multi-vitamin and it actually helped curved my appetite. But I will let y'all know how it goes.... I'm excited/nervous about it!
  • BrittMUSTloseweight
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try. I've been taking a multi-vitamin and it actually helped curved my appetite. But I will let y'all know how it goes.... I'm excited/nervous about it!

what multi-vitamin have you been taking? i need something to help with my appetite! if you want to can inbox me thanks !
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    you'll probably have a remarkably clean house and will probably gain back your weight once you're off it. it can raise your blood pressure and affect your sugar levels and thyroid. I'd try to find other ways to feel 'full.' lots of water, jello....
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My husband took it for 6 months and lost about 60 pounds. He took the required 6 months off and gained about 20 back but when he got back on it the second time it messed with his emotions terribly and he had to get back off of it. He became hostile, paranoid, depressed, etc. We aren't sure why it didn't have this effect on him the first time. He has gained about 40 of his 60 pounds back. But like the other poster said, he didn't change his eating habits long-term like he should have. I tried to take it myself but it made me very jittery and sad so I quit. Different people have different results.

I took it for 6 months and lost 40lbs, was off for a while and gained it all back. I have tried to go back on the pill it makes me SUPER grumpy (b**tch all the way)! Not a fun person to be with. I felt so crappy taking it that I could never do a whole month consistently even at half a pill a day. It is not worth the side effects!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I started taking phentermine about 2 weeks ago.

I lost about 25 lbs and have been stuck there for over a year. It was this or lap band. I chose this ( I don't have blood pressure problems or anything).

Like the others have said, it is a tool. I still get hungry, etc. For me it really helps the snacking and binge eating. I am working on portion control and since I know a lot of people gain weight back, I am working on getting my brain to the point were I am controlling my portions and not overeating, so that it doesn't happen to me. I am still counting calories and exercising.

It is supposed to be used for clinically obese people ( I still have a good 125 lbs to lose). I'm surprised wmjess that your doc would give it to you- you don't look like you need it! Of course there are plenty of doctors who give it to people who only need to lose 20 lbs.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Like anything, you just can't abuse it. people who take more then they're supposed to are the ones who have problems. I have used Adipex on and off for 4 years. usually after I have had my kids. It is a great jump start to help get used to eating less and gives u energy and motivation. It's the best diet pill that I've ever took next to tenuate. I have had no side effects except for dry mouth. Don't start out taking a whole pill because it's too much. I cut mine in 3's and when I felt like I needed more I took half a pill. It's better that way cause after awhile they don't work anymore. They are great if you have horrible cravings like myself. You lose weight twice as fast. There's nothing scary about them! In my opinion the crap they sell over the counter is scary and gave me horrible side effects. I have a few friends who use adipex. One of them only takes it on weekends cause those are her problem days. It all depends on you. Also if you're taking a half pill, take it around 3 instead because it will wear off. I tend to only get hungry later in the evening so it's perfect for me. Tweek it and see what works best for you. I weight about 142 right now and I'm 5"6. The most I have weighed is 210 after I had my kids. If I lose about 10 more pounds I'll be happy! If u have anymore questions, just ask:0
  • tiffany5839
    Options
    And I should probably get an updated pic on here so u can see how well it worked. The one on here is before I started!
  • tiffany5839
    Options
    Oh yea if you have high blood pressure, you can't take it. I do recommend trying to lose weight on your own and taking this if u only have 20-30lbs to go cause those are the hardest to get off. That's what I did anyways and now it's melting off and will stay off as long as u still watch it. I kept mine off over a year now without Adipex.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you can take adipex if you have high blood pressure you just have to make sure you take your high blood pressure pills. My doctor actually gave me another type of high blood pressure pill to make sure i was ok and she just watches it carefully. If you continue to stay on a healthy diet when you are done with the six weeks you will be fine!
  • Laylasmom77
    Laylasmom77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's basically speed. I use to take it years ago while in the military to lose a about 5 or 10lbs before weigh in. It suppressed my appetite but made my breath smell horrible and I had a dry mouth while using it. It's a quick fix not a long term weight lost option.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    doctor-who-adipose-alien.jpg
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    you'll probably have a remarkably clean house and will probably gain back your weight once you're off it. it can raise your blood pressure and affect your sugar levels and thyroid. I'd try to find other ways to feel 'full.' lots of water, jello....
    I would take it if it gets the house clean!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!