Workout Music suggestions?

Options
Hey everyone! I like to work out to music, it really helps keep me motivated and running along, but I'm starting to run short of good songs to work out to. Does anyone know of a workout compilation album that's decent, or do you have any suggestions for good songs you like working out to? Thanks guys!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I like to work out to music, it really helps keep me motivated and running along, but I'm starting to run short of good songs to work out to. Does anyone know of a workout compilation album that's decent, or do you have any suggestions for good songs you like working out to? Thanks guys!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    My very favorite aerobic (step class) song is Joss Stone's "You Had Me" from the "Mind, Body, and Soul CD. Gets me so pumped up and is a perfect rhythem for step or other aerobics.

My Zumba class uses a Shakira song "Hips Don't Lie" to dance to during the active part of class and uses Ray Charles "You Can Keep Your Hat On" to cool down. Also very fun..

I think almost anything that you like will work, just try to match the tempo to the intensity you are trying to achieve.

Good luck.. Janie
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    "I'm taking it back! I'm taking it back! I'm taking back my life!!!!!!!"

Sorry, just got that from reading Janie's post.

What kind of music do you like?

I like:
    Scissor Sisters: I Don't Feel Like Dancing
    Liz Phair: Extraordinary
    Natasha Bedingfield: Pocket Full of Sunshine
    Nelly Furtado: Maneater, Give it to Me (with JT and Timbaland), Say It Right
    Rhianna: Don't Stop the Music, Pon de Replay
    Kanye: Stronger
    Good Charlotte: I Don't Want to be in Love, I Just Want to Live
    Robbie Williams: Kiss Me
    Three Doors Down: Kryptonite
    Jet: Are You Gonna B My Girl

Maybe those will give you some new pep? :happy:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like (for running - intense cardio):

Bowling for soup (high school never ends, Ohio, almost, 1985)
    Low by Flo Rida
    Janitor Bob happy song (I've only found it on limewire - it's midwest group that isn't together anymore I don't think)
    Spiderweb
    lots of PINK's songs

For walking or easier workouts -
    Jessie's girl
    Paradise by the dashboard light
    5 o'clock somewhere
    anything by Jimmy Buffet (especially when I was getting ready for a vacation in mexico)

I have a pretty wide mix on my ipod. I've searched online for playlists too. That helps me think of songs I haven't heard in a while.

Hope that helps
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I really like running to Black Eyed Peas. I also have the power song on my Ipod set to Eminem's Till I collapse. It is a good one to play when you really want to quit! Helps keep me going. I also like to run to AF cadences... they are funny and help me keep my running in perspective knowing our commander could be making us run in formation so I better not complain!!! LOL Running in formation is much much more miserable than running on my own!!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow there are some really good suggestions here! Thanks, guys!
  • madkat67
    Options
    I found some cd's at my local fitness store - I think there is an Oxygen series that actually has songs that gradually get faster and maintain beat rates and then slow down toward the end (to allow for cool down). I have to say, my favorite music right now are the playlists I create on iTunes. I love to use the shuffle feature so that my lists change and I don't get into a rutt.
  • sher493
    Options
    check out the decemberists
  • trishara
    Options
    Anything that gets your butt moving!:laugh: :happy:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You need to find music you really like. I have an iPod and have everything from Bon Jovi (my favorite) to Elvis. I use the elleptical most and find songs with beats I can step to. What happens is I am moving to the beat and I sometimes lose myself in the music and the minutes fly by. If a song comes on with a beat slower or faster than what I am stepping, I just go to the next song. I am usually reading closed captions on the TV too so my mind is on something else.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old son listens to a lot of Christian/alternative bands. Many of them are crossover bands, where the lyrics could either be about God or someone you love. I have found them to be great workout music. They are upbeat but also are not pumping filth into your head, which a lot of upbeat/rap music does. Here are a couple of his faves and they are becoming the most played on my playlist as well.

Toby Mac-Portable Sounds
    Toby mac-Welcom to Diverse City
    Hawk Nelson-Smie, it's the end of the world
    Stellar Kart-We Can't Stand Sitting Down
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Toby Mac-Portable Sounds

Toby Mac... is he the one from DC Talk? I use to listen to take a long time ago. I saw them at Great America back in 1993, I think and they signed mine and my friends arms. I don't think I washed my arms for a week!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Toby Mac-Portable Sounds

Toby Mac... is he the one from DC Talk? I use to listen to take a long time ago. I saw them at Great America back in 1993, I think and they signed mine and my friends arms. I don't think I washed my arms for a week!

That is the same one. He is on his own now. My son thinks he is the greatest. I enjoy the upbeat songs and the clean lyrics. Usually songs that rap tend to talk a whole lot of trash, but he raps about Jesus so it does my soul some good while I am doing my body some good!