I'm struggling to eat my macros

Options

I am having a hard time eating enough protein while keeping carbs and fat at the right amounts. By the end of the day I just can't eat anymore. I have never had this problem before.

Replies

• vilyda123
    vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

What are your reasons for choosing that macro breakdown?

That is a lot of protein for such a small calorie goal. I wouldn't worry about hitting it. I'm lucky if I hit 100g.

Barring health concerns where a RD has suggested you limit one of your macros, macro breakdown is personal preference - what keeps you feeling full on the right amount calories and doesn't make you eat foods you don't like that might bust your will power.

If you have fitness goals that prioritize protein, 160g is still quite high for your calorie goal.

ETA: Just did the math and that's 20%C-50%P-30%F. That is an extreme amount of protein and I'd be surprised if you didn't struggle to hit it!

• vilyda123
    vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I just started a lifting program with a trainer and nutritionist.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

OK, well from my years here on the forum, I've seen that sometimes trainers focus far too much on protein. Keep in mind that most trainers have no formal nutrition education. And anyone can call themselves a nutritionist (though some of them are educated, it can be hard to tell). I don't think there's any legit data to suggest a 50% protein diet will accomplish anything but cause you eating stress and probably constipation 😊

At the very least, I'd let them know you are struggling to stuff that much protein into your diet, and not make yourself sick trying to hit that goal until then.

Good luck!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for @ 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein recommendation from examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.

50% protein is wildly unnecessary. No wonder you are struggling.

Did the nutritionist give you this goal with no guidelines on how to achieve it? Shame on them. But you could hit this fairly easily with lots of chicken, low carb (but not as low as keto), and moderate fat. Would it be enjoyable? That's an entirely different question :D This is about 1/4 C rice.

This meal gives you 21% carbs, 50% protein and 29% fat:

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I think you should go back to ur trainer/ nutritionist and aske them to explain why they suggested this and ask them for the research upon which the recommendation is based. It’s all well abs good giving someone a macro goal but what’s the point if you can’t ever hit it!