Water

Options
:drinker: Im cutting down on soda....HUGE HEADACHE...my question is how much water is too much?! When I put my water glasses on my food diary, the cup over-floweth like Im drinking too much...any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've seen most people say 1-3 liters is good. Too much will flush the nutrients out of your body.
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    8 is the recommended minimum amount... don't worry if you go over :) i've had days where it's gone up to 24 :D
    usually i aim for about 16, give or take...
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have been told not to go over 100 oz/day unless you're drinking special water that has added minerals and such - or else you will flush out nutrients and minerals that your body needs. The recommended amount is half your body weight in ounces up to 100 oz...so a 180lb person would want to drink 90 oz/day. Since I'm 231.5, I wouldn't want to exceed 100 oz.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i drink an average of 18 8 oz. glasses of water a day. no ill effects here. :)

but -- folks here have many opinions on water intake. do a quick search of the forums for something like "too much water" and i suspect you'll see a number of posts on the topic.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body and what it needs...some people need more, some less...but if you're working out extra hard, you need more...
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body, your size, how much you workout, and where you live as well. It was 95 degrees and humid the other day and no matter how much water I drank my pee was still like a sunrise.
  • Fema1e
    Options
    Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic online. They give recommendations based on your own body. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 I don't know if you can lose nutrients by drinking too much water. My belief is that if you have excess water in your system, you body will just flush that out. Everyone's body is a very smart machine that knows what it needs to keep as far as nutrients go, and what it doesn't need to keep it will get rid of.
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    depending on your weight....1 oz per pound of weight but not more than 230 oz....i think...something like that. but i just drink like 160oz a day. i've also heard someone say their doctor told them half of their weight. so if you weighed 200 then you'd drink 100oz. but you can flush nutrients and sodium....
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    the recommended minimum is 64 oz. (8X8oz.), but if you are excercising regularly or doing anything that is causing you to sweat, you need more. my dietician has told me, keep a bottle, and drink at least a drink or two from it every 15 minutes, and more often if i am thirsty...she also tells me, "you can not get too much"*

*i have had gatirc bypass and i take chewable vits and lots of 'em, and water does not stretch my new pouch(stomach).
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cutting back or cutting out soda? My weight loss class instructor said to not cut it out completely because your body is now hooked on the caffeine. Try slowing cutting back and see if the headaches subside.

As for the amount of water, unless otherwise directed, I'd stick with the recommended 8 8oz glasses. If you're still thirsty, go ahead for more. But best check with your doctor for you specifically.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variables. On MFP my water glass over flows(14-15 glasses) on a daily basis, I also exercise quite a bit. To the point I have trouble staying hydrated.

Here is a good article:I really doubt your drinking a dangerous level.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm