update and..Master Cleanse?

Options
so ive been away for a while now.. a month or so.. I said I wanted to keep it up but of course I gave in again to the food. Its like an addiction i swear! Cravings for those fast foods and sweets.. its really hard.

BUT for the last few days ive been doing really well with eating healthy, mainly fruits and vegatables in preparation for the master cleanse.
A classmate of mine has done it and i did alot of reading about it online, and i know I could really use a detox of all the toxins in my body from all sorts of food chemicals and alcohol(I quit drinking 6 months ago) and whatever else there is. Im just worried ill give in and binge on fast food one day cuz im so hungry or i crave it so bad. I just need a little motivation:) so i decided to come here. Im so used to failing over and over again in eating healthy and diets.. even if i dont complete the cleanse just eating better in general.. i need motivation in or any suggestions you guys have for getting rid of those late night cravings.

Also has anyone else done the master cleanse? any horror stories or good experiences?

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Did it and lost 10 lbs in 7 days.......Gained them back in 2 days....
  • loverachel18
    Options
    I know someone who's done it. She lost about ten pounds but then gained some back. She also was having stomach problems for a bit afterwards.
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've done the master cleanse 4 times... the first time I did it was the best time. I did it for 21 days...and it was more than a cleanse for me, it was also spiritual. It really helped me to think clear and weight loss was just an added benefit. This isnt something I would suggest for weightloss alone, more so a spiritual clarity. All other times I did it I barely lasted the 10 days because I was doing it for the wrong reasons. You really have to be disciplined. Since I've started this journey I haven't thought much about the master cleanse as I said I wouldnt recommend for weightloss because nine times out of ten the weight you lose you will almost guaranteed put it back on.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have done the master cleanse. No horror stories. I tried drinking 6-8 glasses per day. It's hard in the beginning with the cayenne pepper, but your body gets used to it fairly fast, and I actually began craving the juice. There were days I only drank 2 glasses as I didn't seem hungry. I did the MC for 28 days, and have lost 30some pounds. Once off, I began eating bad again and gained it all back. What I did like about it is the fact that I stopped craving certain foods, like fast food, sweets, etc. I hated the salt water flush. 32 oz of super salty water... YUCK! However bad this is for you, MC really cleanses. What came out of me, and please I am not trying to be disgusting here, were black strips of toxins that reminded me of the texture of apple peel. Overall, MC does make you feel pretty darn good. You need some tremendous willpower to do it.

Good luck if you go through with it.
  • shelly8625
    Options
    Is there a way to not gain the weight back like really slowly coming out of the cleanse by drinking fruit and veggie juice then raw veggies and fruit and then intriduce other healthy foods?
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Um... honey why do you want to torture yourself?

The human body needs to eat. It's ok to wean yourself off fast food and stuff slowly if that is what you need to do to succeed. You don't have to set yourself up for a crash and burn by doing something like this. You're still going to crave fast food during and after the cleanse. You may lose weight but when you start eating real food again, you're going to gain it back. You may even gain more.

Ok, Negative Nelly stuff out of the way.

Here's an idea for you - Do your cleanse. Keep track of your weight lost (which is why I am assuming you are doing this because a healthy body already filters out toxins) and keep track of your weight gained after.

Then try doing weight loss a healthy and SLOW way. Teach yourself how to do this journey in moderation - no cutting out your fast food or junk food cold turkey. Just keep track of what exactly you are eating in your MFP diary for a week. The second week, start trying to stick to your daily calories. Have your Double Whopper with Cheese for dinner - but have a yogurt or some granola for breakfast, some fruit for snacks, a healthy lunch (or healthy snacks all through the day cause I have no idea how many calories are in one of those burgers lol). Do it for, say, two months. Then compare notes on your weight loss and gains. If the fad stuff works for you and you didn't gain a smidge when you started eating (or go on fast food binge-fests) then ok. Have at it and I will not say another word. But, if the slow way works better, then I'm going to do a happy dance for you 'cause you will have figured out how to balance what you want with what your body needs.

I get rid of my late night cravings by budgeting calories for them. I keep a hundred or two or three for the end of the day when I am really craving chocolate or something (or I exercise to get enough calories for them) and then I can eat it guilt free. Meaning, I didn't blow my diet just because I had that Magnum ice cream! Yay!

You CAN do it healthy and you CAN retrain your body to want the right foods. It takes time and effort and will probably never be easy. There is no shame in doing it slow. Eventually you will have mixed enough good food in that you will switch entirely from junk to healthy and hopefully you will be like the numerous healthy people here who say they can't even eat the crap food anymore.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Um... honey why do you want to torture yourself?

The human body needs to eat. It's ok to wean yourself off fast food and stuff slowly if that is what you need to do to succeed. You don't have to set yourself up for a crash and burn by doing something like this. You're still going to crave fast food during and after the cleanse. You may lose weight but when you start eating real food again, you're going to gain it back. You may even gain more.

Ok, Negative Nelly stuff out of the way.

Here's an idea for you - Do your cleanse. Keep track of your weight lost (which is why I am assuming you are doing this because a healthy body already filters out toxins) and keep track of your weight gained after.

Then try doing weight loss a healthy and SLOW way. Teach yourself how to do this journey in moderation - no cutting out your fast food or junk food cold turkey. Just keep track of what exactly you are eating in your MFP diary for a week. The second week, start trying to stick to your daily calories. Have your Double Whopper with Cheese for dinner - but have a yogurt or some granola for breakfast, some fruit for snacks, a healthy lunch (or healthy snacks all through the day cause I have no idea how many calories are in one of those burgers lol). Do it for, say, two months. Then compare notes on your weight loss and gains. If the fad stuff works for you and you didn't gain a smidge when you started eating (or go on fast food binge-fests) then ok. Have at it and I will not say another word. But, if the slow way works better, then I'm going to do a happy dance for you 'cause you will have figured out how to balance what you want with what your body needs.

I get rid of my late night cravings by budgeting calories for them. I keep a hundred or two or three for the end of the day when I am really craving chocolate or something (or I exercise to get enough calories for them) and then I can eat it guilt free. Meaning, I didn't blow my diet just because I had that Magnum ice cream! Yay!

You CAN do it healthy and you CAN retrain your body to want the right foods. It takes time and effort and will probably never be easy. There is no shame in doing it slow. Eventually you will have mixed enough good food in that you will switch entirely from junk to healthy and hopefully you will be like the numerous healthy people here who say they can't even eat the crap food anymore.

WELL SAID!
  • AnitaMCT
    Options
    I have not done the Master Cleanse but I have done Neera Natural Detox and Cleanse, an improved version of it. It is improved because it contains Palm syrup as well as a higher grade of Maple syrup which gives a full complement of the minerals needed as nutrition to sustain your body for the 15 days needed to complete the cleanse. I have asked others who did the Master Cleanse and then the Neera Natural and they all agreed it was easier on Neera Natural because they weren't as hungry. The trick with the cleanse is to drink it all day long so your metabolism stays active. It also works as a meal replacement, maybe dinner, to help with weight maintenance. The Master Cleanse and Neera Natural were not developed for weight loss, they were developed to give the body an opportunity to relax and repair. The weight loss is just an added benefit. I think the reason people get weak is because they don't drink enough of it, and the added water as well.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The thing about cleanses is that your body doesn't need them. If anything, your cleanse should be eating whole, healthy foods. Sure you'll lose some weight on a cleanse. A lot of it is water weight and well, if you don't eat, you're going to lose weight. As soon as you start eating foods again your intestines fill up and there's your weight back.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, how does feeding your body maple syrup, lemon juice and cayenne pepper enable it to relax and self-repair?