"Belybutton into the spine"

Options
..so they say when you work out. What if you don't? Will your entire body be very fit except for the belly bulging out??? :)))) Just curious if it's real or myth.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Doing this helps strengthen and work your transverse abdominal muscles, which are responsible for keeping your belly tight and flat. They are the deepest layer of muscle and they are the ones that hold in your organs. Not working this muscle group will mean your belly will not be super flat and tight.
  • LissaD26
    LissaD26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's going to give you a flat tummy, but it WILL strengthen your core muscles, give you better posture, and help protect your back from injury.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ...when I do that, it distracts me from the actual exercise. Need to be more focused, then!
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Contracting your abs during exercise not only strengthens your core and works your abdominals, but it also supports your lower back to prevent injury.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I don't think it's going to give you a flat tummy, but it WILL strengthen your core muscles, give you better posture, and help protect your back from injury.

Yes, it will give you a flat tummy as far as your muscles are concerned, as long as you don't do tons of sit ups to bulk up your rectus adbominus. And of course, whether or not there is fat on top of the muscles is another story. Ask any Pilates teacher or ballet dancer how they got their super flat tummy and they'll tell you it's from strengthening their transverse abs.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i totally agree with noadditives
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    ...when I do that, it distracts me from the actual exercise. Need to be more focused, then!

It's hard at first but once you get the hang of it it should be second nature. Doing it right kind of takes a different way of breathing, you sort of have to breathe into your back, which is also a little tricky at first. But just keep at it!
  • idiocracy
    Options

Yes, it will give you a flat tummy as far as your muscles are concerned, as long as you don't do tons of sit ups to bulk up your rectus adbominus. And of course, whether or not there is fat on top of the muscles is another story. Ask any Pilates teacher or ballet dancer how they got their super flat tummy and they'll tell you it's from strengthening their transverse abs.
    ohhhhhhhhhh....now it makes sense!
  • idiocracy
    Options

It's hard at first but once you get the hang of it it should be second nature. Doing it right kind of takes a different way of breathing, you sort of have to breathe into your back, which is also a little tricky at first. But just keep at it!

right, ,which brings me to the next question: is there a general rule for breathing? when to breathe, how, etc etc? i was going to post a topic about that. my workout doesn't tell me "inhale on your way up, exhale on your way down"...or vice-versa. is there a breathing rule that applies to all exercises that I can follow?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    right, ,which brings me to the next question: is there a general rule for breathing? when to breathe, how, etc etc? i was going to post a topic about that. my workout doesn't tell me "inhale on your way up, exhale on your way down"...or vice-versa. is there a breathing rule that applies to all exercises that I can follow?

Exhale on the exertion, inhale on the return.