Power Walking?

Options
Anyone here try power walking?

After (yet another) hard fall while running, my weight trainer, who has been a competitive runner for decades, spent an entire training session analyzing my gait and running style. I am new to running as of last year, and am older.

She’s suggested that I consider power walking (race walking?) instead, since she feels my gait is more suited for it. (I drag and shuffle my feet while running and my toes catch on the slightest difference in sidewalk cracks, roots etc). But when I tried power walking I automatically picked my feet up more.

I’ve done it three times, but am having a hard time getting the motion going. Did you have a hard time at first? Did you start out slow and build speed?

It doesn’t seem to put the pressure on my knees that walking (my big exaggerated stride) and running (galomph like an elephant) do, but so far it makes my shins a feel tight and my toes curl, probably because of stress over looking silly and unfamiliarity with the motion.

As she promised, and I find this really interesting, I don’t get out of breath like I do when I run. Three miles was way easier than a three mile run. But-Also interesting- is that the calorie burn is on par with running, and way better than walking. Seems like it would be a far better use of my time (I do several other workouts each day and the time commitment is getting outta hand) and potentially less stress on my body if I can get the rhythm going.

Tell me about your experience. Tips, pros, cons, anything you think would be helpful. Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi @springlering62, I’m kinda slow jogger/fast walker and my calorie expenditure has not changed that much. Actually, the reason I stopped full running is bc I want to keep my knees feeling good and I noticed when I full run for about 30 min continuously, my knees ache like mad! I’m also like you in that I barely pick my feet up and tend to hit my toes on cracks, embarrassing 🤣 I’ve never fallen but it’s a lackluster gait for sure. I have no idea how these bouncy, springy gazelles do it but I’m jelly!
    Anyway, I have had excellent results with changing my route to very hilly areas where I extend my stride to an almost lunge ( wide stride ) and I feel the burn in my thighs and then quick jog on the flatter areas where it only requires a fifteen min or so “ sprint.” The whole thing lasts about an hour and I’ve accomplished five miles and 500+ calories burned. It’s been fabulous on my knees and I’m getting results! Do you have a hilly route where you can work hard while not moving sooo fast? I tend to keep my arms swinging long instead of up high and tight bc I think it makes me move more naturally?? That’s just my feeling. When I try to do the “official” fast walk I just end up dropping my arms and swinging them naturally and I find it pushes me more. I’m 5’10 though so maybe my stride is naturally more wide than yours?? I don’t know. I’m just telling you what I do on non jogging days. I prefer the fast walking bc I go a lot longer and burn more calories! I hope some of this helps you🥰
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do hard TM steep incline walking. I have got fitter and faster over time.
    When I dial it down a little, it seems so much easier that I am able to carry on longer - can even get a much higher calorie count ! Calorie burn seems more dependent on time than on effort ??
    Though it takes a bit longet ~20 mins , I am not as wiped out and recovery is very much easier.
    Maybe with your other workouts you were pushing things and now are at a better mix ?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I stopped running because my knee was starting hurting.

I think it takes some time to get into the groove. I find running I just jump in and run but walking I seem to take a bit to figure out the rhythm.

Hope you can figure it out. It is a good calories burn
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Interesting video/article on the topic. To my understanding power walking is just upping your regular walking pace. Race walking on the other hand has some very specific "rules".

https://slowpokedivas.com/2018/06/watch-race-walking-vs-power-walking-an-in-depth-comparison/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I've tried it and wow, gotta have some flexible hips. Very correct it can be just as much effort as slow running.
    So instead of fixing that issue I just stopped trying to do it. ;-)

I know it's getting closer to running style in the sense of faster gait (closer to 180 turnover than 120 walking likely does), which requires getting the foot to land more under you than in front of you walking might allow.
    That's probably why it feels better to knee.

The shin though makes me wonder.
    I'll say this from reports I've read - many shin issues when people start running are due to massive increase in eccentric usage (I know you know that from lifting).
    Tibialis anterior (foot flexor) is contracted having pulled up foot for clearance.
    Land on heel too far forward.
    Foot is forced down (with a slap many times) by full weight of body (when running) causing eccentric stretching while under tension.
    Muscle and tendon connections to bone normally used to lift merely the foot, not really happy with that at full body weight.
    Pain.

If you were having trouble running getting the foot up for clearance, perhaps those are just weaker muscles for you, and this is just pointing that out.
    May be landing a tad heel forward too and getting some eccentric in there.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

After (yet another) hard fall while running, my weight trainer, who has been a competitive runner for decades, spent an entire training session analyzing my gait and running style. I am new to running as of last year, and am older.

She’s suggested that I consider power walking (race walking?) instead, since she feels my gait is more suited for it. (I drag and shuffle my feet while running and my toes catch on the slightest difference in sidewalk cracks, roots etc). But when I tried power walking I automatically picked my feet up more.

I’ve done it three times, but am having a hard time getting the motion going. Did you have a hard time at first? Did you start out slow and build speed?

It doesn’t seem to put the pressure on my knees that walking (my big exaggerated stride) and running (galomph like an elephant) do, but so far it makes my shins a feel tight and my toes curl, probably because of stress over looking silly and unfamiliarity with the motion.

As she promised, and I find this really interesting, I don’t get out of breath like I do when I run. Three miles was way easier than a three mile run. But-Also interesting- is that the calorie burn is on par with running, and way better than walking. Seems like it would be a far better use of my time (I do several other workouts each day and the time commitment is getting outta hand) and potentially less stress on my body if I can get the rhythm going.

Tell me about your experience. Tips, pros, cons, anything you think would be helpful. Thanks!!!!!

You know, I read your post and was quite amazed at just how like my own experience of power walking has been! I have been running - track when younger and on the road since 2011. I too, have taken several tumbles as I (too) do not lift my feet up enough. In fact, my times, were IN SPITE of my running style and not BECAUSE of it lol. I also would get very out of breath when running, no matter how fit I got. A turning point came though, just a few weeks ago, when I was finding it increasingly difficult to run continuously, I did consider that my age (nearly 61) might be a factor, then when I suddenly found myself going light-headed (during the runs) and feeling faint afterwards, I realised all was not too good. In the end, after a particularly awful training session, I decided I would switch to power walking for a while until (hopefully) I could run properly again.

Well the upshot of it is, I am thoroughly enjoying my power walks, I usually walk for 2 hours, every other day, I managed to get to 15km the other day, it took me 2 hours 15 minutes, I have room for improvement there.

Oh one other thing, my weight began to shed quite quickly and I am not too far away from my goal now, it was a win/win situation all round really :smiley:

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    __Di__ wrote: »

You know, I read your post and was quite amazed at just how like my own experience of power walking has been! I have been running - track when younger and on the road since 2011. I too, have taken several tumbles as I (too) do not lift my feet up enough. In fact, my times, were IN SPITE of my running style and not BECAUSE of it lol. I also would get very out of breath when running, no matter how fit I got. A turning point came though, just a few weeks ago, when I was finding it increasingly difficult to run continuously, I did consider that my age (nearly 61) might be a factor, then when I suddenly found myself going light-headed (during the runs) and feeling faint afterwards, I realised all was not too good. In the end, after a particularly awful training session, I decided I would switch to power walking for a while until (hopefully) I could run properly again.

Well the upshot of it is, I am thoroughly enjoying my power walks, I usually walk for 2 hours, every other day, I managed to get to 15km the other day, it took me 2 hours 15 minutes, I have room for improvement there.

Oh one other thing, my weight began to shed quite quickly and I am not too far away from my goal now, it was a win/win situation all round really :smiley:

I’m still out here. I do a mix of regular walking and power walking/slow running. I don’t know what you’d call it. Interesting to reread this. The “rusty” feeling in my hips went away. No treacherous scary falls since slowing down.

I’m in a wierd grey zone right now, though. I just got a dog who loves to walk and we are still getting used to one another. When he’s in the zone, he can really book it, and often likes to run. We did about half a mile run this morning before he ran out of gas an wanted to sniff everything. (He has little old short legs). So all my walks the last couple of weeks have been three miles or less, but several times a day.

I’m in a quantity versus quality walking mode now, and loving it. He’s great company.

BTW, I developed lightheadedness and vertigo, too, following a mild bout of Covid. It’s passing off now, I hope, but it’s been at least six weeks. It just comes out of nowhere.

Did yours start suddenly too?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Could you be dehydrated or overheated? Summer runs often give me lightheadedness and vertigo. I just don't handle heat and humidity at all well any more. I've been known to lose strength in my legs at the end of a hot run so I end up sitting down/almost passing out.

I have enjoyed reading this thread because I have also been having issues with my running this year that aren't going away and fast walking seems like a reasonable substitute. I also have a new dog who has a very brisk pace, so for at least a couple of miles a day, I am doing a sort of power walk. At the moment I'm trying to do both, but that may change if my running doesn't get back to normal.

One thing I have found when walking on the TM is that faster paces tend to make my glutes tighten up more. i.e. I'm fine at 3.8, but not at 4.3. I think it's just tension and should ease if I do it more, but there may be a difference in impact as there is a difference between running and walking. Since pain in my hamstrings and glutes is one of my main running issues, I haven't been pushing the pace to the point of causing pain.
  • __Di__
    Options
    [/quote]

I’m still out here. I do a mix of regular walking and power walking/slow running. I don’t know what you’d call it. Interesting to reread this. The “rusty” feeling in my hips went away. No treacherous scary falls since slowing down.

I’m in a wierd grey zone right now, though. I just got a dog who loves to walk and we are still getting used to one another. When he’s in the zone, he can really book it, and often likes to run. We did about half a mile run this morning before he ran out of gas an wanted to sniff everything. (He has little old short legs). So all my walks the last couple of weeks have been three miles or less, but several times a day.

I’m in a quantity versus quality walking mode now, and loving it. He’s great company.

BTW, I developed lightheadedness and vertigo, too, following a mild bout of Covid. It’s passing off now, I hope, but it’s been at least six weeks. It just comes out of nowhere.

Did yours start suddenly too?
    [/quote]

Yes, it started a few weeks ago, I was unable to run continuously and had to keep stopping. It felt as though my legs weren't getting enough energy, almost as though I couldn't get enough oxygen. I have run a marathon and several half marathons in the past so I know about hitting a wall, however, who has ever heard of a person "hitting the wall" during a five mile training run pmsl, but that is exactly what it felt like.

I do try a few bits of running during my walks too, but can manage no more than about 300m before I flake.

Fully agree that it comes out of nowhere, there is no warning, nothing.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Could you be dehydrated or overheated? Summer runs often give me lightheadedness and vertigo. I just don't handle heat and humidity at all well any more. I've been known to lose strength in my legs at the end of a hot run so I end up sitting down/almost passing out.

I have enjoyed reading this thread because I have also been having issues with my running this year that aren't going away and fast walking seems like a reasonable substitute. I also have a new dog who has a very brisk pace, so for at least a couple of miles a day, I am doing a sort of power walk. At the moment I'm trying to do both, but that may change if my running doesn't get back to normal.

One thing I have found when walking on the TM is that faster paces tend to make my glutes tighten up more. i.e. I'm fine at 3.8, but not at 4.3. I think it's just tension and should ease if I do it more, but there may be a difference in impact as there is a difference between running and walking. Since pain in my hamstrings and glutes is one of my main running issues, I haven't been pushing the pace to the point of causing pain.

Yes, I did consider heat being a major factor. I live in the Canary Islands, it will be unusual to have the temperature below 22/23 degrees Celsius in the summer, sometimes it is in the late 20s, I sweat buckets too. Low blood pressure was another thing I considered.
  • shahpriti1232
    shahpriti1232 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walking is the simplest, safest and one of the most effective forms of exercise which can benefit your health. Even though you may be too busy to do any exercise, you are still recommended to carry out at least 15 - 20 minutes of brisk walking everyday. Brisk walking (walk a mile, approximately 1.6 km in 15 to 20 minutes) has been shown to give long-term health benefits if we do it regularly and keep it as a lifelong exercise program.

Benefits of brisk walking:
    it burns calories to help maintain healthy body weight.

it reduces the risk of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes.

it improves cardio-respiratory fitness.

it reduces blood cholesterol.

it enhances mental alertness and memory.

it prevents osteoporosis. (1)

Brisk walking requires you to burn more energy in the form of calories, and increases both your lean muscle mass and your metabolism, making for the perfect combination for maintaining healthy body weight and physique. This is done by either reducing any excess or helping to achieve the deficit in the form of muscle mass.

There is a direct link between regular physical exercise and better heart health and blood pressure. Brisk walking can also help avoid the likes of diabetes because it increases insulin sensitivity. (2)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Could you provide the source you're quoting (clearly a cut and paste with the footnotes) as it may be interesting to read the whole article.

• sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 Thank you for this thread.

I have been struggling with increasing my distance/intensity for my morning walks due to time limits and came across this thread over the weekend. On my work from home days I was able to get up to 5 miles walking and still make it to work on time. I had been trying to incorporate jogging/walking to up the intensity and get more miles in but I wasn't loving it. This morning I tried power walking and with a slightly earlier start I was able to get up to 6.2 miles while still making it to work on time. Side benefit that my dog pulled less on the leash, either because she was happier with the pace or because she left slack in the leash for my arm swing. Either way it was a very enjoyable morning walk!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    @sandielewis2001 I know!!!!! I have a new rescue and he is crazy full of energy. His little legs may be short, but we’re doing a sort of canine C25K and he’s easily doing three miles his first walk of the day, and a gentler mile and a half for his afternoon and evening walks.

Hey if anyone needs a reliable (and unavoidable) workout, rescue a dog! I’m back over 20,000 steps!!!!