Ketone test strips accuracy / very low GKI

Options
Inalienable_Property_of_www
Inalienable_Property_of_www Posts: 192 Member
edited November 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
So.. I decided to try out keto about three days ago and measured my ketone levels today using urine strips - I had a reading of 80mg/dL and glucose didn't change on the indicator at all (like it didn't read it/change was so minimal / below 100 mg/dL).

I know the strips aren't particularly accurate - I figured I was fine with lowish accuracy when it comes to the actual reading, as long as it indicates one way or another (no ketosis/ketosis).. but now I'm a bit concerned. If I assume the glucose is just on the low end that would give me a very low GKI. Although if it's not indicating anything because it's too high.. well that would suck immensely. If it's just completely inaccurate then I guess it doesn't mean anything.

Anyways, I had a banana. :D

But I guess what the point of this post was to ask what your readings have been/what method did you use to know if you were in ketosis, etc?
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason why you need to be scientifically in ketosis?

It's not a weight-loss hack as far as the actual measureable ketosis level. The advantage to keto is people feel full, but at what cost to arteries/heart and bones and other body functions? Not worth it when all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The ketone strips are a lot like a preggers test - any purple color on the strip means that you are in ketosis, beyond that, they are pretty much meaningless.

Also, you should NEVER see an appreciable amount of glucose in your urine - it is an indicator that bad things are happening in your body if you do see glucose in the urine.
  • Inalienable_Property_of_www
    Inalienable_Property_of_www Posts: 192 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Ahh, good point about glucose in blood vs glucose in urine, that's such a brain fart moment for me, haha.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I used keto strips back in 2011, when I did Atkins. They turned darker, if I got deeper into ketosis.

The best way to know you are in ketosis, is to eat under 20 total grams of carbs per day. I know when I am out of ketosis because it usually means I ate carby foods.

Once you get an idea of what 20 grams of carbs is.. a small side salad, and maybe some peppers and onions ( a cup ) in a stir fry.. I get mine from 4 Jumbo eggs a day.. and a little cheese.. 5 grams today.. so no need to test when you are that low.

if you feel the need to test, then you are likely at the point where you jump out of ketosis.. about 25 grams a day for most people. You are basically looking to eat as many carbs as possible, and stay in ketosis.

If you have a banana, don't waste the stick.. you are not in ketosis. Any color change is probably a sign that your sticks are garbage.

Decide if you want/need to be in ketosis, and if so, drop down to 15 grams a day, and after a couple of days, your sticks should turn darker. You have to burn all the glucose in the body off, because your body prefers alcohol, then regular carbs, and when all those sources are gone, you start breaking down fat, and ketones are a byproduct of the process.. created as you body burns off it's stored fat. This takes a few days to occur.. do a week on low carb, THEN test for ketones. if you are in ketosis, then just continue eating the same amount of carbs every day.

if you don't push up against the max allowed carbs, it should be easy to get into & stay in ketosis.. you can eat 10g a day and be fine.. and then you won't need keto-sticks. I think if you aim for 20-30 grams of carbs a day.. the keto sticks will let you know you are out of ketosis, but what good is that? You want to STAY in ketosis, so why not eat 1/2 the carbs they allow for Keto? Then you have no fear of being out of ketosis. Plus, you won't need to test any more, and I remember the sticks being pretty expensive.

If you like 50 grams of carbs, that might work for you.. but you won't be in ketosis, just LC.. and unless you have medical issues, that will be just fine.. you can be healthy eating more carbs than on the keto diet, but you won't be ON Keto, or in ketosis.

people fall in lve with the idea of ketosis/Keto, but tend to want to not be strict enough to actually DO the diet.. they aim for the max carbs, and most fail in the end. MY first question was if I needed ANY carbs, not how many can I eat.. the answer is NO.. you don't need any carbs, but you find some in eggs & cheese, so I get that.

if your goal is more carbs, then Keto is likely not the diet you should be on.. maybe a meat & veggies diet is more your speed.. 40-75g of carbs.. if that gets you the results you want. I started on Atkins, cut down to mostly stir-fries.. meat & veggies.. cut fruit, and then did keto at 15 g a day, and now do Carnivore.. my only thing which held me back was concern for eating too FEW carbs, and if it would be a medical problem.. so I ened up at meat, eggs, cheese, water and fats.. nothing else.

What is your real goal? You need to figure that out, and maybe that will help you decide to do Keto right, or choose some other healthy diet, which gets you what you want. That way you can stick to it. You need to love what you eat.

Good Luck!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I also am wondering what purpose you have for measuring ketones in your pee. They don't necessarily tell you when you're in ketosis, they tell you when you are peeing out ketones.

I do IF, and my body jumps in and out of ketosis, and I can smell the putrid burnt popcorn ketones in my pee. The kicker though is that they're stronger after I eat carbs, and the effect can last an entire day of eating carbs. It apparently takes my body several hours to flush out ketones. Especially after a 40hr fast.

I think I use my ketones for energy more when I'm fasting, and I guess my body dumps them into my pee when it gets glucose to use instead when I start eating bread.

So I would reason that the ketones in your urine aren't a great indicator of current ketosis, but just evidence that there was ketosis as some point.

I'm not an expert on this, I just know what my body does, and the absolutely unmistakable smell of heavy ketone excretion.