Dumb Question.........

Options
Well according to this site.....doing sit-ups or ab work does not burn calories......but I read that if your heart rate is up and your muscels are burning that you are burning calories.....I do an ab class for 15 minutes and I would like to know how many calories I am burning.

Now I don't have a hrm or a body bug or anything like that so how can I tell? :ohwell:

Thanks.

Replies

• beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well according to this site.....doing sit-ups or ab work does not burn calories......but I read that if your heart rate is up and your muscels are burning that you are burning calories.....I do an ab class for 15 minutes and I would like to know how many calories I am burning.

Now I don't have a hrm or a body bug or anything like that so how can I tell? :ohwell:

Thanks.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    not sure but i noticed that as well its considered strength training i would just take it as a bonus and roll with it
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If you type in "strength training" under cardio, it'll give you some calories for it. My 20 min. Ab routine (10 min. standing, 10 min. on the floor) with my HRM says I burn about 110-120 ish, but that's just ME & my routine, kwim? It isn't a big burn, that's for sure.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    type in calestinics (I'm not sure of the spelling) sit-ups. I would be careful though. I just did it and it said that 15 minutes was 150 calories. I think that's an overestimate. You can also go to calorielab.com and they might have it.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The only true way to know is to invest in HRM I couldnt imagine not having one since im using it i love love love mine. But thats just my input. Most of the sites and machines over estimate by a bunch and thats crucial for counting calories plus we dont all burn them the same way..
  • beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That is more than I expected....I just checke out this random website and it said for 15min of vigorous sit-ups I would only burn 2 calories. :grumble: I won't even give you the name of the website bc I thought that was so lame!

Thanks everyone!!:heart: