Calories in fruit - doesnt make sense

Options
Hi - according to my diary, yesterday I had some fruit salald which contained 14g of sugar and 18 g of carbs, and a banana which contained 14g of sugar and 23g of carb - so fairly similar. And the calories in each were similar - 70 for the fruit salad and 90 for the banana. Makes sense. BUT i also had some grapes which were only 1g of sugar and 1g of carbs - which would imply very few calories as well. But the calories from the grapes came in at a substantial 110. Ouch. So... either calories come from something mysterious I dont know about (quite possible) or there is an error in the data in the MFP system. My guess is that the grapes data is wrong, and i am consuming much more sugar and carbs than i realised

Any ideas?

Replies

• seashell5
    Options
    Grapes are normally the better of the fruit options strawberries to,

think it may be an error on ya kcals normally they would compare as below –

Calories in 100g of bananas

Calories 95.0kcal

Calories in 100g of grapes

Calories 61.5kcal

;-)
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi - according to my diary, yesterday I had some fruit salald which contained 14g of sugar and 18 g of carbs, and a banana which contained 14g of sugar and 23g of carb - so fairly similar. And the calories in each were similar - 70 for the fruit salad and 90 for the banana. Makes sense. BUT i also had some grapes which were only 1g of sugar and 1g of carbs - which would imply very few calories as well. But the calories from the grapes came in at a substantial 110. Ouch. So... either calories come from something mysterious I dont know about (quite possible) or there is an error in the data in the MFP system. My guess is that the grapes data is wrong, and i am consuming much more sugar and carbs than i realised

Any ideas?

Google it and look on a more reliable site...so google 'white grapes nutritional information'... I always do this to confirm stuff
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This looks more plausible - 27g carbs in a 151g portion of grapes:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2

Where did they get that portion size from, though?!
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Grapes are 60kcals per 100g. I eat them often and have seen it written on some of the packaging and it corresponds with the database. x
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    calorieking.com

kind of like this site but accurate food searches. I use it to balance here.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have taken from the database 'Grapes - Generic red or white' I have 68 cals per 100g, and 17 carbs (don't track sugar so don't know) This seems to roughly correspond with what others are saying, there are so many different entries on the database, not all of them are accurate unfortunately.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    as much as possible I use the database provided by MFP - when I can't find that and I have to pick from a User entry I try to confirm the cal/fat/etc by searching. good luck
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah it looks like somebody just put wrong information into the database. How much of that goes on I wonder? There have been a few other things that havent quite made sense. Damn.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah it looks like somebody just put wrong information into the database. How much of that goes on I wonder? There have been a few other things that havent quite made sense. Damn.
    I've noticed that sometimes portion sizes or nutritional info changes on branded goods, so what might have been entered accurately last year might no longer be accurate now.

I always check the pagacking or if raw goods then I'll google and check a few other calorie counter sites.
  • Cassandraemilyann
    Options
    Some fruit is actually way high in sugar! I can have 3/4 of a large banana in my oatmeal and go over my sugar limit! But I could have 3 cups of frozen raspberries and be fine. Tracking everything can be massively frustrating. But make sure to watch the nutritional info on the fruit you eat.. I made sure to stay under my sugar limit and was losing the weight so good, then I just started paying attention to just my calories and hit a weight loss plateau.. So I talked to a dietician and she told me that keeping fruits in my diet is good but over-doing it and going over that sugar limit causes weight gain. People assume eating as many fruits and vegetables that they want is fine but fruit and vegetables still have fructose and too much of it isn't good when you have a goal in sight. Anyways, hope this helps! :)