Need great fig recipes, please

Options
Last year, Whole Foods had what may have been my favorite hot food of all time- figs with goat cheese and bacon. I've been dreaming about them ever since. I bought some figs yesterday as they are finally in season here... would love some great recipes for them...salads, entrees, apps...anything, Thanks!

Jodi

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Baked fig with honey & cinnamon- served with greek yoghurt. Good for breakfast or as a dessert.

or

Figgy bruscetta with warm figs, low fat mozarella and rocket (arugula) and plenty of black pepper & a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You can do an ingredient search on many sites and get numerous recipes. I like foodnetwork.com myself. A fig search brought up over 300 ideas. Have fun!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Serves 4

Vinaigrette - makes 1 cups
    250ml olive oil
    1 small garlic clove, crushed
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

4 figs
    8 slices ham - Black Forest if available or Parma
    1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
    200g blue cheese
    3 cups of salad leaves, including Radicchio
    Bread to serve

1 To make the vinaigrette - whisk the ingredients together and taste for seasoning. Store in an airtight jar until ready to use.

2 Slice the figs and arrange on a platter with the ham, greens, walnuts and blue cheese.

3 Drizzle with the red wine vinaigrette and serve with crusty bread.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sugar baked figs with orange syrup and cream (Obviously not a low calorie recipe - but verrrryyy yum)

I suppose you can use some greek yoghurt instead of the cream

Serves 4

Syrup
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    Zest and juice of one orange
    1/4cup water

1 Tbs butter
    8 figs
    3 Tbs caster sugar
    1/2 cup dessert wine
    2 cardamom pods
    1 cinnamon stick
    Cream

1 To make the syrup, place the sugar, zest, juice and water into a small saucepan and boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar then let boil for approximately 15 minutes or until syrupy. Let cool.

2 Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a baking dish with the butter. Roll the figs in caster sugar then arrange in the dish.

3 Pour over the wine and add the cardamom and cinnamon. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve the hot figs with the orange syrup and softly whipped cream.
  • joditenzer
    Options
    these sound great! Going to use half for a snack, and the other for that salad