Hey MFP chefs…I Need Some Recipe Help

Options
Arc2Arc
Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
I recently started adding chicken breasts on a bed of canned black beans topped with Asian chili sauce to the slow cooker. It’s super easy, filling, comes out great and is macro friendly except for the sodium that comes with the chili sauce.

So…what could I substitute for the chili sauce that’s light on calories and sodium but heavy on flavor while helping to keep the chicken moist?

gvwj7ym9ujym.jpeg

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Asian chilli sauce is not typically that high in sodium...is there a medical reason you need to limit your sodium intake? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

You could substitute salsa, but I'd imagine jarred salsas have about the same sodium as the chilli sauce (again, not high unless you are on a medically restricted diet).

You could make your own salsa and leave out the salt?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The sodium is coming from the beans. Canned black beans are horrible when it comes to sodium, even if you rinse them.

It is really easy to make your own without salt. Pour 2 lb. dry black beans in the crock pot and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight. Pour off water and cover again with fresh water. Cook on low 8-10 hours until beans are no longer crunchy, Pour off liquid and cool. Pack in freezer bags in 2 cup portions. Freeze. Each bag is equivalent to 1 can for recipe use. I typically get 7-8 bags per 2 lb. dry beans.

Are you using a Thai sweet chili sauce or just the Sambal Oelek? The Sambal is only about 100 mg of sodium per teaspoon. If you are using the Thai Sweet Chili sauce, most recipes do not call for salt so the only sodium comes from the Sambal.