No more logging food!

Options
Today after 127 days of food tracking and about 10lbs weight lose, 50lbs without MFP; I’ve decided to end food tracking. I believe it is time. It has given me great info, however believe I just don’t need it to continue maintaining and body strengthening. Wish me luck and add comments of your success doing the same.

Replies

• m13irene
    m13irene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success and all the best moving forward. I’m only 2 months into my weight loss journey and am down 13 pounds so far. For me, the food tracking and daily weigh ins are helpful right now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. And what's the harm in trying?

Best of luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You lost a lot of weight without tracking, so I bet you will be successful. My only thought..is don't stop weighing yourself. I did that..and the weight sneaks back up.

However, I agree.. logging food for a good period of time is educational and teaches a person a lot.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    It's been working for me! I do weigh myself almost daily, and still use MFP as a meal planner. Most of my meals are already saved into MFP so I can make my weekly plan quickly, and I like that it'll let me know if it's too much sodium, sugar, saturated fat, too many calories etc. I do eat whatever I want in addition to my meal plan (in healthy quantities) and have been maintaining my weight.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s best wishes, I’m not going anywhere however just not tracking calories…lol!
    Here are my November check in.

In and thanks, need to stay motivated....my goal is to maintain through Nov and Dec.

Nov Start Weight: 159.4 lbs
    Nov Goal Weight: under 160 lbs
    Ultimate Goal Weight: maintain!!

Nov 1: 159.4

Nov 8: 160.0
    avg daily cal. 2494, net avg. 1698, net cal under weekly goal 2507.

Nov 15: 161.8
    avg daily cal. 2731, net avg. 1809, net cal under weekly goal 1730
    Muscle mass 87.7, body fat mass 4.9, non fat/muscle mass 69.2

Nov 22: 161.2
    Muscle mass 87.5, body fat mass 4.9, non fat/muscle mass 68.8
    Stopped tracking calories last week
    Nov 29:
    Nov 30:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    So, you're tracking body fat on some home device? Are you tracking weight too?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but weight is more reliable than home body fat devices, IMNSHO.

Good luck! :)
  • coryhart4389
    Options
    So, you're tracking body fat on some home device? Are you tracking weight too?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but weight is more reliable than home body fat devices, IMNSHO.

Good luck! :)

Yes and agree, home body fat scales aren't to accurate. I have two different types, my newest, is claiming to be as accurate as an office Dexa machine and is made by Inbody which makes commercial bf scales. I'm more focused on trend while maintaining weight. So I'm happy with both my plan and the scale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you.

4 months isn't that long, all things considered. But, should you find things go sideways, it's not hard to start back up should you want to.

Here's my take on it, for what its worth (which is about a 230 pound loss... with only a small bit more to go)

WITH exercise (at least 3 times a week, around about an hour a session), I can maintain my weight being mindful of my portions, and logging- if only in my HEAD.

WITHOUT exercise, and trying to eat 'intuitively' and NOT paying attention to portions, or approximate calories.... that scale starts to tip up gradually. EVEN if I *THINK* I am being 'good'.

If I add in any sort of depression or stressors, it makes logging (which can also be a control measure and help keep me 'grounded') even more critical. Even if I overeat, it helps me to SEE it in black and white (and an obnoxious red), so to speak, and identify those patterns (rather than just an off day or two) sooner and help steer me back on track before too much damage (or any) is done.

So, that is my take on it, and how things work for ME. Everyone is different, and everyone responds differently to different weight loss and weight maintenance methods. Everyone has to find what works best for them, and their long term success, and that will vary from person to person.

As I said, best of luck to you. And, if you need MFP in the future, we will be here.

Yep, how active I am plays a big role in how careful I need to be.

I moved earlier this month, which was a LOT of work. The new place is bigger and more spread out, and I am much more active here than the last place. I haven't logged in three weeks and it's been fine. I weigh some foods and am also being mindful of portions. I do weigh myself every day. I'm down five pounds from this time last month.

But my eating has increased, so I will be keeping a close eye on my weight.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Good luck -- I hope things go well. I feel I would lose control without my daily measurement of everything I can measure but I understand that at some point it might be possible to fly solo. I just know from my previous experience I underestimate calrioes in food and how many I'm burning daily.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it was you posting an update 😀. Glad to hear things are going well even if difficult!
  • coryhart4389
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Approaching 1 year since I started this thread and there have been some ups and downs with my weight, but nothing that tracking actually calories could prevent. It was/is just a matter of overeating. So today I’m at about 165 lbs which is about the same this time last year. So the results are confirmed, I don’t need tracking, lol!!
    With that, maintaining weight is so difficult……

Might be less difficult if you tracked your food 😂

Lol...the difficulty from me is not having one cookie and logging it, it's having the whole box.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Approaching 1 year since I started this thread and there have been some ups and downs with my weight, but nothing that tracking actually calories could prevent. It was/is just a matter of overeating. So today I’m at about 165 lbs which is about the same this time last year. So the results are confirmed, I don’t need tracking, lol!!

Might be less difficult if you tracked your food 😂

Lol...the difficulty from me is not having one cookie and logging it, it's having the whole box.

Actually, this is a REALLY good reason to track. You'll have that whole box of cookies (mmmmmm cookies) staring you in the face and then you can decide if they were really worth it.

But, honestly, I really envy people who can gain/lose/maintain by eating intuitively. That will never be me. Because of cookies. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Well done.