Is this going to happen every time I change my exercise?

Options
A few weeks ago I did a few days of 30DS and gained 6lbs of water weight in days. I wasn't enjoying it so I went back to my usual routine and the weight came back off and I was losing again. This weekend I started running and after 3 days of running I'm up 5lbs. I know it's not fat and I'm not worried but I was surprised to see it. Should I expect to gain this much water weight every time I change my workout routine?

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You're using--and damaging--more and different muscles when you do different and harder workouts. The more muscles you tear, the more they'll hold water for the repair process. Give it time and it will go away.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me too. Not just changing my whole routine, but adding something into an existing one. I added leg presses to my weights routing and voila, an extra few pounds the next morning. Same thing happened when I started using the static bike. Not quite as dramatic as your gain, but definitely happened.

It's good that you're taking it philosophically. It will be gone in no time.
  • goatruns
    Options
    Yes. It's a good sign. That's what I tell myself every time I up my fitness. SOmetimes that helps, other times not so much,lol.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had this too, I'm not tooo concerned about the number on the scale as I know it's impossible I'm eating enough to gain weight. How long until it goes away?
  • goatruns
    Options
    Well, ideally, never. Meaning you will lose that initial water weight and then up your level and it will happen again and so on. After I lift heavier I am about four pounds heavier for a few days. Once DOMS goes away, so does the weight.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I'm doing the 30 day shred and gained some water weight (I know it's not muscle haha) but this is pretty low key as far as strength routines go, just getting myself from couch potato to some level of fitness before I join a gym.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Someone here wrote that "sore muscles = retained fluid = temporary weight gain.:cry:

They also advised us to stay OFF the scale if we are sore or be prepared to see a gain

I appreciated that advice!! ( and I KNOW that weigh-in day is weigh-in day and that's that, but just be prepared if you are sore. I had to 'suck it up' last week when I started a new weight routine and saw a gain of 1.5:sad: )

This week it's gone!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I appreciated that advice!! ( and I KNOW that weigh-in day is weigh-in day and that's that, but just be prepared if you are sore. I had to 'suck it up' last week when I started a new weight routine and saw a gain of 1.5 )

Are you me? That's EXACTLY what I did last week, down to the same weight gained!
  • miss_shinobi
    miss_shinobi Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank god for this thread! this is exactly what has been happening with me - work out hard = gain weight - ease up and it comes off!! I thought i was going mad but at least now i know the reason!