Glucosamine

Options
Thinking of taking glucosamine for joint pain, but the research seems to only show benefit for those with osteoarthritis (which I don’t have - I’m mildly hypermobile and suffer with painful joints). Some studies have shown improvement in symptoms and others suggest it’s a placebo effect. Anyone here tried it and found it helped? I don’t like taking supplements or painkillers as a rule, but I’d also be interested in hearing what people think has worked for them.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,557 Member
    Options
    I've tried the combination of glucosamine/chondrontin. No go and I did max dosages. This was before research was done in the 2000's

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The only way to know if it might work for you, is to try it for yourself. Our general physiology is much the same but we all have our own quirks in how our bodies work. I've found the combination very helpful but that is for OA. It can take three months or more for the body to make full use of the combination.
    I don't know if something called MSM will be of use to you. Its something else which can help with joint pain, can help reduce inflammation and can be useful in other circumstances.

All the very best, do what is right for you after you read up on things.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Exactly- I know it is not the same thing-- but I started using turmeric as a supplement for mild joint pain-- and it works for me-- but my dear friend when she tried it--- it made her sicker-- so yeah we are all different-- and supplementation is hard--- to figure out.
  • alexiaans2
    alexiaans2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using Glucosamine for years. Now get this, my knees and joints aren't perfect and they still have their issues from time to time. However, whenever I STOP taking Glucosamine, my knees literally start aching, cracking...it's even hard for me to stand up! For that reason, I always keep it as a part of my supplements. I'm sure my knees will do even better once I start to release this weight. Hope it helps!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I never found relief from it. Omega3s, Green Lipped Mussels supplements, Turmeric and Tart Cherry are my go to's. Astaxanthin as well. Really beneficial IMHO. Boswellia is better than Glucosamine.

Astaxanthin is the red in Krill Oil. Instead of buying expensive krill oil supplements, I buy Omega3s and Astaxanthin separately. Cheaper and way more potent that way.

I'm 16 years post being told I needed a total knee replacement with the same knee and no pain. I also got T-Boned at 22 on a state highway driving 60 MPH and my neck is also crap as a result. Also no pain 99% of the time from that as well.