High heart rate during sleep

Options
I've been using a Withings sleep mat for some time now, and have discovered that my resting heart rate during sleep (71 average) is way higher than my resting heart rate (55 when sitting totally still) during the day. If I have had any alcohol during the evening the rate is higher (typically 80 average) but even if I have had several days with no alcohol the lowest average sleep rate is about 67. The lowest average it has ever got is 62 but that's rare.

I have impaired lung function and am wondering if this contributes, but has anyone else noticed similar? Any words of wisdom (other than consult the doctor, which I will do)?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    It's this mat that is measuring your heart rate? In the specs I see it measure heart rate through ballistocardiography: no clue what that is, but I'm wondering if it's accurate.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It's this mat that is measuring your heart rate? In the specs I see it measure heart rate through ballistocardiography: no clue what that is, but I'm wondering if it's accurate.

It gives very similar readings to those taken by my watch and a wrist strap HR monitor. So I think it is reliable enough.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I've just been checking out my HR readings at night. Fairly low overall, but I do get periods and spikes with a higher heart rate. I don't have an average for the night though, so it's hard to compare.

Here are some of my graphs, if it's of any interest:

b0r1cihpl9c9.jpg

h5e022j0tyvc.jpg

up5git6yadeq.jpg

tg3iye8a29hs.jpg

There seems to be a certain correlation with my exercise routine, especially my long runs (I always exercise in the early evening or late afternoon).