I have hit a wall and need inspiration

Options
I have hit a plateau with my weight loss, and need to switch up my exercise routine. I have been doing a combination of running and walking four to five miles every day. I really like the amount of calories I can burn while doing this, so I need something that will be comparable. I have three small children at home, so a gym is out of the question, and I can only commit to about an hour a day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    got an iPod? Nike Training Club is AWESOME.
  • Sunshinema
    Options
    have you tried doing any dvd's at home to switch it up or on demand videos. verizon has some great ones. maybe building up some more muscle instead of all that cardio is what you need to kick start it. I get bored and will start hiking more or biking and then at the gym i get the weights but i have had them teach me some moves at home that use my body weigth to build and strengthen. good luck
  • tarapickens
    Options
    got an iPod? Nike Training Club is AWESOME.

I have an iphone and I actually downloaded the ap in the past, but it says I need a sensor? Where do you get the sensor?
  • tangal88
    Options
    bodyrock.tv will give you some great at home workouts that will help build some muscle, which would be a benefit. She has workouts with and without equipment. You can substitute some hand-weights for the sandbag she uses. (hers is 35 lbs, but you can use lighter weights, or add some bags of rice into a backpack to create a sandbag type tool)

She has short and longer workouts, so you can usually fit one in a day.

You would need to have decent internet access on your PC, TV or phone to view the workouts.

Adding muscle will tighten you more, add definition, and boost metabolism - don't be afraid to use heavier weights, that will give you faster results.
  • tarapickens
    Options
    have you tried doing any dvd's at home to switch it up or on demand videos. verizon has some great ones. maybe building up some more muscle instead of all that cardio is what you need to kick start it. I get bored and will start hiking more or biking and then at the gym i get the weights but i have had them teach me some moves at home that use my body weigth to build and strengthen. good luck

I do have a few videos, I need to start incorporating them. I hate that I can't burn as many calories with the videos as quickly as I can with running. Maybe I need to stop obssessing over the number of calories I burn in a day?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    cycling!!! i love riding my bike, and in the time you run 4-5 miles, you can do three times as much on your bike. the burn will be amazing, and afterwards your joints won't hurt, and you wont be as sore.
  • tarapickens
    Options
    bodyrock.tv will give you some great at home workouts that will help build some muscle, which would be a benefit. She has workouts with and without equipment. You can substitute some hand-weights for the sandbag she uses. (hers is 35 lbs, but you can use lighter weights, or add some bags of rice into a backpack to create a sandbag type tool)

She has short and longer workouts, so you can usually fit one in a day.

You would need to have decent internet access on your PC, TV or phone to view the workouts.

Adding muscle will tighten you more, add definition, and boost metabolism - don't be afraid to use heavier weights, that will give you faster results.

Thanks, I am definitely going to check this out!
  • i cycle, it is easy on the body. amazing for toning bum and thighs and burns a great deal of calories. it's fun too
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    cycling!!! i love riding my bike, and in the time you run 4-5 miles, you can do three times as much on your bike. the burn will be amazing, and afterwards your joints won't hurt, and you wont be as sore.

I second this. After some experience you will easily be able to do about 15 miles in an hour depending on location. If you want to continue to run then you might want to try switching what kind of running you are doing. Instead of a slow steady run, try going to a high school track and running some sprints. Maybe try alternating around the track, sprint on the straights and jog around the turns. When I used to play football we would have to run hills. Sprint up the hill and then walk back down. Throwing in some HIIT (High intensity interval training) should break that plateau.

Edit: I guess technically, I third the cycling idea.
  • tarapickens
    Options
    :happy: Alright guys, I might have to look into getting a stationary bike!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    add in some simple exercises like lunges, squats, planks, etc.

i don't take my kids to the gym daycare, instead i get up at 5am to go to a class before my husband leaves for work, would that be an option for you? i do gym just 2x week then run 4x.
  • fatboy26105
    fatboy26105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tara, you definitely need to add a muscle building routine to your weekly exercises. This will help prevent running injuries and will transform your look which may help boost your motivation. Running is great, but needs company. Also, on a weekend try some trail running to mix things up a bit and help you relax.
  • tarapickens
    Options
    Tara, you definitely need to add a muscle building routine to your weekly exercises. This will help prevent running injuries and will transform your look which may help boost your motivation. Running is great, but needs company. Also, on a weekend try some trail running to mix things up a bit and help you relax.

Thanks for the advice, I need to add something to mix it up a little. It's hard branching out from my routine when I find something that works with the kiddos.