Training upper trapezius making you look “narrower”?

Options
Is this a myth or a true thing? I have not trained upper traps since I started working out again. I want to ask the experts in fitness, is training upper traps necessary at all and does it really make you look narrow?

Replies

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The functions of the traps make it especially worth your focus. The muscle is big on its own, and you'll add size to your back and shoulders when you take on traps-focused movements—but your other upper body muscles will also benefit from strong traps.

The upper traps support your arms and raise your shoulder blades, while mid and lower traps are essential for scapular retraction, depression, and rotation. Shrugging your shoulders, raising your arms, and other movements use your traps, so training them to be as strong as they can be will help you out in more than just the big back department.
    ———————————————————-
    Not an expert in fitness or anything else for that matter, but I found this on menshealth.com
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ok, i've also heard that having overdevelopped upper traps is bad for shoulder health? I may start training them in higher reps, cause they grow very easily in my case.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    If you have length across, it won't matter. Some people have narrow shoulder girth to begin with and having overdeveloped traps may make them look narrower. Is it necessary to train? Depends on your goals. If you're a powerlifter, you'll need them for all the compound lifts. If you're an average gym goer who just wants to look good, then might now need to train them directly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    So it can make you look narrower. For certain people they might want to avoid training traps.

Is it necessary to go heavy on shrugs? Cause it's really easy to add weight on this exercise.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    With no special attention I got surprising trap development increasing ordinary upper body workouts (bands, DBs and bodyweight) last Spring. A fitness podcast mentioned that they have about the highest concentration of androgen receptors in men, and web search seems to confirm that unusual responsiveness compared to other muscles - an easy "newbie gain" but maybe not worth targeting.
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    Yes they respond very easily, I really dont know if it's worth training them directly.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    So it can make you look narrower. For certain people they might want to avoid training traps.

Is it necessary to go heavy on shrugs? Cause it's really easy to add weight on this exercise.

I don't even bother doing shrugs. Most of my trap work gets done from bent over rows, and strong shoulder work.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    Ok, but if you were to do shrugs is it better to go really heavy or lighter weight with better mind muscle connection?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, but if you were to do shrugs is it better to go really heavy or lighter weight with better mind muscle connection?

I'd go heavier progressively adding weight each set WITH mind muscle connection. Heavy is relative to the person strength.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I'd go heavier progressively adding weight each set WITH mind muscle connection. Heavy is relative to the person strength.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, when I read the question my internal monologs said, "Both."
    Heavy weight AND controlled reps.

Not so heavy that you can only do quick jerky shrugs but also not so light that you can do them all day.
    Just heavy enough that you can squeeze out 12 or so slow reps, holding the contraction at the top.