Heavier than I thought 😬

Hi all. Just thought I'd post as I've just had a mild heart attack after stepping on the scales.
It was a big deal for me as I have a slight phobia of weighing myself as it can set off some pretty negative thoughts and emotions in me.
So anyway, I finally built myself up to do it and it wasn't pretty, I weigh as much as I did after giving birth, oh the horror!!! I've been on a 'diet' now and running regularly for a month now so God knows what I was before I started although despite being pretty regimented I'm not sure if I've made much progress at all.
If anyone has any helpful advice as to how to stay on track and motivated I'd love to hear them. Please feel free to add me too!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    If weighing yourself is a problem, take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. It's easy to backslide relying on how your clothes fit. It leads to yo-yo dieting. Read the maintaining threads so you can get ideas and prepare before you reach goal.

I see you've been with MFP for awhile, so will skip the digital food scale--weigh and measure everything advice. If you're doing that you will eventually lose. Sometimes it just goes a bit slower than we want it to. Patience and consistency--and change things up if something doesn't work for you anymore. Good luck.
  • shazland
    shazland Posts: 63 Member
    Thankyou for replying! I May actually change to KG! That's a really good idea.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited November 2021
    You don't say how much weight that actually was/is (and no need to,) but the bottom line is you're here and doing something about it.

I agree with weighing every day. You have to know somewhere in your mind that it's irrational to be afraid of the scale and that it's a really good metric for weight loss, right? Some days it's up and some days it's down but if you keep doing the right things it will trend in the right direction.

Good job making the decision and for choosing to take control of your fear and your food.
  • shazland
    10 stone 5. I'm 5 foot 1. I think that makes me obese or something 🤔
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Yeah, when I finally got on a scale (no phobia just didn't care or own one) I was definitely 20lbs heavier than when I was 9 months pregnant and just over the line into obese.

Realizing I was not just overweight but obese made me do something.

I now weigh roughly what I do when I was in college and my BMI is slightlylower than middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. Took 15 months. Time is going to pass anyway. May as well settle in and make some SUSTAINABLE changes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    It's okay, we all started at a point where we knew we needed to change.

Log your food today. You'll be okay. :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I weigh every day and enter it into a weight loss trending app called Libra (Android) this tracks the ups and downs and gives you trend weight. This way I can see that although my weight loss is not linear and goes up and down, I can see the general trend and if that is going down all is good. It makes me more aware of the heavier days and what I ate, more sodium, more carbs whatever so I can adjust and tweak to keep those days to a minimum. Never be afraid of what you see on the scale it is just a tool to help guide you toward your goal. Keep going and good luck.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Im also 5’1, weighed today after not weighing for awhile and I’m 151lbs or about 10stone 10. Yikes! I’ve gained back 18 of the 22lbs I lost and I’m frustrated but just trying to make the best choices I can to be back on track. We could hold each other accountable if you’d like being that we’re about the same build.
  • shazland
    Im also 5’1, weighed today after not weighing for awhile and I’m 151lbs or about 10stone 10. Yikes! I’ve gained back 18 of the 22lbs I lost and I’m frustrated but just trying to make the best choices I can to be back on track. We could hold each other accountable if you’d like being that we’re about the same build.

Thanks for messaging me back. Can I friend you?
  • Jeancats3
    Jeancats3 Posts: 10 Member
    I weigh everyday based on a dietician article. I can see hat I’ve done wrong day to day. I’m also fasting to one meal atleast twice a week. I do drink plenty of water at the same time
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    For most of my life, I believed in once a week weighing. About a month ago, I purchased a Arboleaf Digital Scale from Amazon. Weight is exactly the same as my old scale but the new scale tracks my daily weight in their app. I find tracking daily, very interesting. Weighing daily provides a better insight into your eating habits and weight. One bad result doesn't mean that much.