Tips for knee injury/running?

Options
Several years ago I tore the cartilage in my knee, and everyso often it acts up a bit. The physiotherapist told me it'd get better over time, but all of a sudden running is causing me grief where it never used to.
Has anyone else had these issues?
Am I better stopping running for a couple weeks to give it a proper proper rest, or keeping going to try and strengthen it through exercise?

Tonight it gave way a couple times whilst I was walking up a steep hill (I'm not a great runner yet) and it's been awful since. Walking hurts and I couldn't stand on one leg to take my trousers off. It'll probably be better by Friday when I plan to run again, but I don't know if I should be.
If anyone else has had a similar situation, advice would be great.

Thank you

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I would probably not run on Friday. Try a walk and if there is any pain, go home. Having your leg give way is not good and you may have torn something when that happened. If you can, go see a physical therapist and get some strengthening exercises. Your problem may be in your shoes as well. How old are they? Older shoes that have lost support can cause knee pain.
  • HTMTM
    HTMTM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would probably not run on Friday. Try a walk and if there is any pain, go home. Having your leg give way is not good and you may have torn something when that happened. If you can, go see a physical therapist and get some strengthening exercises. Your problem may be in your shoes as well. How old are they? Older shoes that have lost support can cause knee pain.

Thank you, I never even considered the shoes. A couple years old, do likely worth changing them.
    I'll rest it properly for a while and buy new shoes and hope that helps.
  • HTMTM
    HTMTM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, it's totally fine again today, and I feel like I could run on it. I might try but take it easy tomorrow, and see what happens.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Get it assessed by an orthopedist. Could be anything from tendinitis to a torn meniscus, etc. Till you really know what it is, you can't take the steps to actually rehab it correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png