It’s my mind that needs work just as much as my body!

Options
It’s been a tough couple of days for me with life and my lack of grace towards myself on this wellness journey. I would love to hear how others have healed their minds along with their bodies. I’m so grateful for how strong and fit I am now and for my body and all it can do and yet I long for peace with myself and not this daily battle with never feeling like the progress I’ve made is enough. Like I am enough. I long to feel joyful and not obsess over my body and what I’m putting in it and do I need to train harder at the gym or am I training too hard? Ahhh thank you for your patience and grace with me when mine is lacking 💕

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I'd been taking the antidepressant Wellbutrin off and on for over 20 years and it apparently stopped working. I had a few months of misery, tried a few different Rx, and settled on Cymbalta. The good news is that I feel like my old self - hopeful, optimistic, confident, do not have melt downs over little things. The bad news is that I start to go into withdrawal in as few as 45 minutes after a missed dose, and I am taking the lowest dose available.

I've also been doing ACT for about a year, including a 10 week group session with other veterans that I really enjoyed.

Previously I had a CBT therapist, but she was an intern and not a good fit.

I just love tele-health - it makes therapy SO much more convenient for me!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Truly, and I do not mean this in any snarky way at all, but therapy or counseling is wonderful. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right one. drugs are not always (or even usually) the answer. For some, yes, but for many, no. For me, meds did nothing. But a GOOD therapist did WONDERS. Bad ones just agitated me. I still see her once or twice a month, and can tell when its been awhile.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Still working on the healing part. Probably will be forever as I am a completionist. One day at a time.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Quite eloquently expressed, OP. Your post reminded me of this: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Being-Having-Doing-Enough/dp/0307591395 Maybe there is something there that will resonate with what you are feeling?

FWIW, I've been working on my mind at least as long as I have been working on my body, and it continues to be a work in progress. Just ask my family :D When you make a consistent effort, change is indeed possible. Sometimes it seems like more effort than it should be, but the effort is always worth it. Wishing you the best on your path to peace. :flowerforyou:
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Oh, Naomi, this speaks to me and, I know, to many. Coming into self compassion and love has been a journey spanning years, decades. The work is not done...it just shifts. Keep reminding yourself that you are worthy, and showing yourself this. It may take a lot of practice. Hold yourself, comfort yourself, inspire yourself.

Allowing myself to "just be" and have that be enough was a conscious decision I made, which took decades to be able to make. To put aside all the striving and proving...that took much soul searching and a dedication to myself...my authentic self.

Really, all we have to do is just be ok with who we are. Sounds simple. It may not be simple. But it's a goal. When we reach it, we are untouchable.
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. I've struggled my whole life with self acceptance. Thanks "childhood"! I'm a work in progress and I am always seeking for better ways to cope with bad tapes. I've learned that it all starts in the mind. What we perceive is what we conceive. It is nuts what we tell ourselves every day about who we are. I am also a perfectionist in ways, nothing is ever quite good enough. I'll never really "arrive". Sometimes it helps just to have an honest friend that can share in your struggle, but help you not to stay there.