Options
Hi All,
I’ve just this minute joined My Fitness Pal. It’s time to sort myself out. I am a 71 year old retired male, who( according to my BMI) is obese.
I’ve been a chef for over 50 years, so very involved with food. Over the years I’ve tried Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Atkins, Keto etc, etc. I’ve pretty well learnt that we need to burn off more than we take in, however, due to various medical issues, I am not very active. I definitely need help. Are there any decent Food Plans, menu plans , diets out there ?

Replies

• KimberlyMaguire_91
    KimberlyMaguire_91 Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi,
    I just joined myfitnesspal. I'm kinda a newbie here I don't know the way to post or anything. I'm looking forward to reducing my weight and staying fit.
    Thanks
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,479 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi All,
    I’ve just this minute joined My Fitness Pal. It’s time to sort myself out. I am a 71 year old retired male, who( according to my BMI) is obese.
    I’ve been a chef for over 50 years, so very involved with food. Over the years I’ve tried Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Atkins, Keto etc, etc. I’ve pretty well learnt that we need to burn off more than we take in, however, due to various medical issues, I am not very active. I definitely need help. Are there any decent Food Plans, menu plans , diets out there ?

Hi, Dave. Welcome to MFP. There’s tons of recipes and websites out there.

A relative just joined MFP and texted me crazy excited about the skinnytaste.com website. She’s been happy with three recipes she already tried from there.

Heck, even MFP emails recipes. There’s also a recipe section of this board.

It feels really weird to be giving advice to a pro chef, since I’m not a very adventurous cook myself.

I would imagine the #1 thing for you would be relearning portion sizes. As a chef, you’ve probably become accustomed to giant restaurant serving sizes.

What’s worked for me is smaller portions (of course!) but also rethinking my favorite recipes.

I use margarine instead of butter because it’s half the calories. I might use half the sugar called for ina cobbler or scone recipe and it’s still plenty sweet. Low cal almond or cashew milk work in lieu of milk in many recipes. (As well as in coffee!)

I use a lot of zero cal syrups on pancakes, in smoothies, chai lattes, even in baking. Yes I know some people are concerned with the use of artificial sweeteners, but at my age and a hundred pounds less of me, you tell me which is the lesser evil?

Putting a stir fry on a cauliflower rice. Using zoodles or spaghetti squash. Using half a pizza crust recipe and rolling it out thin. Then I sing prosciutto (half or less the calories) or a lot of vegetables on that pizza instead of pepperoni.

Balsamic strawberry vinegar is gods own gift to dieters. On cottage cheese with fruit, as a simple salad dressing, on roasted vegetables, I’ve even used it to sweetened baking and marinate meats.

Skyr with zero cal chocolate syrup, peppermint whipped cream (15cal a serving) and a pinch of hagel slag (Google it) is my current love.

A serving of Greek yogurt, 15gr sugar free lemon instant pudding, and half a cup of ice water. Heaven in a bowl. Or use vanilla pudding and a can of pumpkin, season it like a pie. I served that last night and friends couldn’t believe it was low cal.

You’re a chef. Be creative. Re-think. Do this for you.

PS there’s lots of older users here who’ve lost considerable amounts in their 50’s (me!), 60s, 70’s and even into their 80’s.