Help me select an ideal breakfast meals

Options
What's ideal to have as breakfast, I have lost 50lb and trying to maintain a good weight, but I have been having struggles with what to have as breakfast

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It's tough to ask strangers to randomly pick food for you to eat.

We don't know:
    What do you like?
    What's your calorie goal for breakfast?
    Do you have dietary restrictions?
    What are you currently eating for breakfast?
    Why do you feel you need to change it?
    What kinds of foods keep you satisfied?
    Do you have certain macro goals/needs? (ie more protein)

Don't overthink this...just eat foods that you like within your goals.
    Also, you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast.
    There's really no "ideal breakfast". It's very personal.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on you. My ideal is an egg or egg white with meat(for the protein) with enough other stuff I can get it down, but not enough to add too many calories. Maybe a burrito. Maybe eggs in purgatory.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss! You must be doing something very right!
  • Diane_SK
    Diane_SK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it's a decent question that I also have pondered. ie: Is oatmeal & almonds better than eggs & toast?
    Currently, I'm pretty stuck on 3/4 cups(74g) organic, steel-cut oats; water as needed (microwave/stir/repeat) add 3/4 c whatever frozen berries/berry mix I bought last. 1 Tbsp brown sugar. With 5 almonds on the side.
    It takes me quite a while to eat, the berries help me use less sugar, and the roasted almonds feel like little treats on the side as I eat.
    I've noticed I can make better choices all day when I start with this combo.

Ideally, I'd like to have 3 or 4 healthy go-to breakfasts that have as positive an impact as oatmeal does for me.

I love eggs, cereal & milk, and would like to have a healthy muffin or smoothie breakfast option too.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I always have whatever I want and fit it into my calories.
    Something to keep me satiated until lunch needs to involve some sort of protien so I'll have some sort of eggs or greek yoghurt with fruit and nuts.
    Porridge with fruit and nuts is good too.
    Or sometimes I'll have leftovers from dinner the night before.
    Don't overthink it - just fit it into your daily calories and being satiated is the most important thing.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    For me, my breakfast is dependent on how many calories I eat for lunch.

If I'm eating something light for lunch, like a soup and sandwich, I'll usually have 5-600 calories of oatmeal with fruit, PB, seeds, and seeds. If I'm having something heavier, like taco casserole, I might just have some whole grain toast with PB, banana, and hemp seeds for breakfast. Weekends, I usually skip at least one meal, so I might go for something more substantial like protein pancakes with vegan sausage and soy milk or a vegan frittata.
  • cnodonnell1
    cnodonnell1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs, I think they’re good. They help me stay away from snacks more than other breakfast options.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    It's tough to ask strangers to randomly pick food for you to eat.

We don't know:
    What do you like?
    What's your calorie goal for breakfast?
    Do you have dietary restrictions?
    What are you currently eating for breakfast?
    Why do you feel you need to change it?
    What kinds of foods keep you satisfied?
    Do you have certain macro goals/needs? (ie more protein)

Don't overthink this...just eat foods that you like within your goals.
    Also, you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast.
    There's really no "ideal breakfast". It's very personal.

^^ THAT

Personally, I dont typically eat ANY breakfast. On strength training days, I try to remember to eat some sort of protein, be it greek yogurt or eggs. I dont always remember. My performance is less when I do not remember. On cardio days, I do better on an empty stomach. easy, since that is my preference, anyway.

eat what you like and what keeps you satiated until your next meal and fits within your calories.
  • Glorianna7
    Glorianna7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Choose your breakfast according to how many calories you should have per day to maintain or lose weight. Decide how many calories you allocate for breakfast. Then choose foods that fill your Macro and Micro nutrients. Decide how many Calories, Carbs, Fats, and Proteins you should have for good health. I like to start sometimes with 8 Egg Whites and one yolk and pan fry in one tablespoon of oil, which gives me over 30g of protein. Then add the carbs, and don't go over your calorie limit. Coffee is an excellent way to get potassium.
  • lawmomathome
    lawmomathome Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is a very personal thing. The reccurring theme in this thread seems to be either eggs or oatmeal. I think the most important thing is what keeps you satisfied until your next meal or snack.

For me, eggs won't hold me over until lunch but oatmeal does. I eat my oatmeal either cooked or raw with about a tablespoon of nuts and about the same amount of ground flaxseed. I add in either a chopped Apple, or a chopped Orange with a few red grapes, or a banana with some blueberries.

The biggest thing for me was finding something I love, which I have, and eating it everyday. That takes the guess work out of it. I vary the fruit and whether it's cooked or not to keep it interesting but other than that, I ate the same thing everyday weekend and weekday all year round.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Ideal for me may not be ideal for you.

I like a brekkie that fills me up and keeps me from being hungry for hours. I'm satiated with fiber and carbs. I often eat a tofu or potato scramble with lots of veggies and sometimes a mock meat. Usually in the 400 calorie range. Or I'll have oats with berries, seeds and nuts. Sometimes it's leftovers cause I love dinner for breakfast.

Not only do I love the taste of those foods but they keep me filled for hours.