3/4 c. oats, ground fine
1 T. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. real salt
1 scoop Designer Whey Vanilla

Gently combine dry with wet ingredients just til moistened.

Bake in glass dish coated with nonstick spray. Bake about 30 minutes at 350 til center is set. I didn't bake mine quite long enough, and had to nuke it for 3 minutes on HIGH to get the center to cook. LOL, guess I was anxious.

Makes 8 squares.

cal:119 carb: 24 fat: 1 protein:5 fiber:2 iron:5

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Sounds Good!
  • ostar8433
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump bump! I love pumpkin bread!! :bigsmile:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Another recipe I'll have to try!! Thank you for sharing it!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This sounds fantastic. Wonder if it would work as well with non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream? Thanks so much for sharing.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    Yep, Greek plain yogurt and sour cream are interchangeable. :wink:
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I'm feeding this to the kids for lunch, topped with sliced peaches and vanilla yogurt.

It should be a dessert! It's phenomenal. I'll never make a different gingerbread recipe again. Tweaking Successful.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    What is and where do you find whey vanilla? Can something be substitud for it if I can't find it?
  • ennaejay
    Options
    What is and where do you find whey vanilla? Can something be substitud for it if I can't find it?

It's a powder made from whey (the liquidy stuff you can drain off cultured milk [yogurt]). There are a bazillion kinds out there. You can make this recipe omitting the powder; I only used it to boost the protein of each slice of cake.

I use Designer Whey French Vanilla; it's 18g protein per scoop and 100 calories. Sweetened with stevia leaf. I buy it from The Vitamin Shoppe in bulk :happy: It's an amazing smoothie, soup, and baking enhancer if you want an extra punch of protein in your otherwise "too-carb-y" foods. Helps me feel a little better about having a warm piece of CARBS, that, and knowing it'll power me through a run in a half-hour! :)
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump, and thanks!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

It's a powder made from whey (the liquidy stuff you can drain off cultured milk [yogurt]). There are a bazillion kinds out there. You can make this recipe omitting the powder; I only used it to boost the protein of each slice of cake.

I use Designer Whey French Vanilla; it's 18g protein per scoop and 100 calories. Sweetened with stevia leaf. I buy it from The Vitamin Shoppe in bulk :happy: It's an amazing smoothie, soup, and baking enhancer if you want an extra punch of protein in your otherwise "too-carb-y" foods. Helps me feel a little better about having a warm piece o CARBS, that, and knowing it'll power me through a run in a half-hour! :)

Thanks!!!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    not-so-covert bump! :blushing: :bigsmile: These moist cake squares are seriously mouth-watering! I hope more of you enjoy them. I love finding something new to make...
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    OMG, that sounds devine! I will be making this for sure! Thanks for posting it :)
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    bump!

Thanks for sharing :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    perfect for fall
  • Cornpuff32
    Options

I just tried out your recipe tonight! made a few adjustments. I subbed plain non-fat greek yogurt for sour cream, added a tsp of vanilla and 2 tablespoons wheat germ, it seemed too thick so I added 3 tblsp pure maple syrup. Roasted a small pie pumpkin while I was working out, by the time I was done I had cooked squash perfect for puree. I ground my own oats...not fine enough...the bread came out looking very hearty. We are utilizing all self-control to not slice into it tonight. We're going to try it out for a pre-hiking/during hiking snack tomorrow morning!

Assuming 8 servings: Calories: 144; Carbs: 30; Fat: 1; Protein: 5

sweetened apple sauce (they didn't have natural at our corner store) and maple syrup upped the carb count...not too bad.

Can't wait to try this in the AM!
  • ennaejay
    Options

I just tried out your recipe tonight! made a few adjustments. I subbed plain non-fat greek yogurt for sour cream, added a tsp of vanilla and 2 tablespoons wheat germ, it seemed too thick so I added 3 tblsp pure maple syrup. Roasted a small pie pumpkin while I was working out, by the time I was done I had cooked squash perfect for puree. I ground my own oats...not fine enough...the bread came out looking very hearty. We are utilizing all self-control to not slice into it tonight. We're going to try it out for a pre-hiking/during hiking snack tomorrow morning!

Assuming 8 servings: Calories: 144; Carbs: 30; Fat: 1; Protein: 5

sweetened apple sauce (they didn't have natural at our corner store) and maple syrup upped the carb count...not too bad.

Can't wait to try this in the AM!

ohhhhh, maple syrup...... Great idea! Methinks the additional carbs are easily dismissible for the wonderful flavor.

I'm making this again today and just might add some wheat germ and maple.... nom nom nom

Another thing you could do - if you JUST want the maple flavor - is use a maple extract instead of the syrup? And then you could drizzle a teaspoon of pure syrup over your warm gingerbread instead. Save the carbs for the topping. *drool*

I grind my own oats too -- it's not as fine as flour, a little coarser, like meal. I liked the texture. I can't believe this recipe is so low on fat and sugar but so spicy and addictive anyway...