Jeff Galloway running program?

Options
I think I am going to do a half marathon on October 29th. I haven't been training specifically for it but I have been putting in some miles with running and keeping up some sort of aerobics activity. I am going to jump into the hal higdon novice plan 2 at week 5. I have been running 5 or six miles a couple times a week already. I went ahead and did eight today, it wasn't too bad. We will see how sore I get and that will tell for sure. I did this same half marathon last year in New Orleans. It is nice and flat and a good time of year and for a good cause. Someone at work mentioned to me about a Jeff Galloway running plan for distance races. It is where you run for several minutes then walk for like 30 - 40 seconds, then run for like 4 or 5 minutes and just repeat that over and over the whole race (or long run) Has anyone done this? I tried it today and it was okay I guess. Did break up the distance a bit, but I average about 10 minute miles (walking included). I was tired from coming off of vacation last week though, so I might give it another try next week.

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I have read one of his books and I know that he is "The" training guy that Disney uses for their Marathons/Half Marathons.

There is a good bit of info on here: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/

Good Luck, My goal is to do the Princess Half in Feb 2013.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know you are supposed to actually have a faster time, but I went slower this morning. Of course I added a little distance to my run, but even before the extra mile and a half, I was going slower. We'll see if things go better next week.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm using it for the Marine Corps Marathon, and it's it's made all the difference for me. (I've done 3 halfs without it.) I can go much longer distances and wind up being faster at the end. (There's a run/walk pace calculator online that's helpful.)

I do 4 minutes running, one walking (briskly.) I have my goal pace of running and walking, and I follow it pretty closely. I managed 15 miles last Saturday that way.

One of the advantages is that if I have angry interval where I'm off, it's just for that four minutes. When I start the next interval, I'm able to get back up ti speed.

By the way, I'm also doing Higdon's novice marathon program.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, I just ran my first 5K on Monday but, I did order his Book on Running and he has some great stories about his training camps and improving people's run times by having them walk during their runs.

Impressive stuff.

I had always heard of him but reading his book , well, he has some great tips including how to trick your brain when it says "Why are you doing this?" lol...

Best of luck to you!
  • curlytop89
    Options
    thanks, I am thinking about getting one of his books as well.
  • nikihampton
    nikihampton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about using his program to train for the full marathon I am doing next May. Right now I am post-baby (via c-section #4) and am getting back to running my pre-baby distances. I am going to start hard training in January and should have myself back to where I was by then.

I ran my first half last September. Loved it!
  • curlytop89
    Options
    Well, I have done it for my long runs the past two weeks and I think I am digging it. Breaks the distance down so it doesn't seem so far. Last week I did close to the recommended run 5 min walk 35 seconds. It was okay, but felt like too much stop and go to me. My time was okay I guess. I did feel less tired at the end of my run. This week I tried 8 min run with 45 second walks. I liked that a lot better. Did nine miles that way and I think I could have gone farther no problem. Time was a tad faster than last week. Not much. But I think I could run faster during that part of the cycle. I definitely think it would be great for someone just starting to run long distance and I think it is supposed to help prevent injuries. I am going to try it again next week and see how it goes. Maybe I will try to run a little harder during the run stages.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - I like Higdon better than Galloway

walking breaks are not necessary - I see them a license to stay undertrained - people should strive not to stop and walk
  • paladeac
    Options

walking breaks are not necessary - I see them a license to stay undertrained - people should strive not to stop and walk

With all due respect, you don't know what you[re talking about.

By the way, i'm using both.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love Galloway. I have taken 30 minutes off my half marathon time and an hour and 20 minutes off my full marathon time. I totally believe in his method. It helps your body to recover quickly....I am never sore after a race, and have improved my times greatly.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear from people who have actually used Galloway's methods. Thanks for posting!
  • arc918
    Options

I simply stated my opinion, therefore it can't be incorrect.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't like stopping & starting all the time, so it's not for me.

I have a friend that uses it and it's about the only way she can get her distances in.

I think you need to evaluate it for yourself, it might work for some, but not for others.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I have a friend that uses it and it's about the only way she can get her distances in.

I think you need to evaluate it for yourself, it might work for some, but not for others.

^^^ Exactly. If you dont mind starting and stopping, and it works for you, there is no reason not to do it. It doesn't mean you are undertraining or less of an athlete. I personally did not like it and wanted to keep running. And if someday my body says, you need to take walk breaks, because I need it for the recovery or just to keep running the distances that I want to run, I will do it... because I love running and never want to give it up... ever! Good luck to you in your training!!
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For me, the brisk pace I keep when walking, is enough to say it isn't a start and stop thing. I don't slow to a snails pace, I have been known to pass quite a few runners when I'm walking...

^^^ Exactly. If you dont mind starting and stopping, and it works for you, there is no reason not to do it. It doesn't mean you are undertraining or less of an athlete. I personally did not like it and wanted to keep running. And if someday my body says, you need to take walk breaks, because I need it for the recovery or just to keep running the distances that I want to run, I will do it... because I love running and never want to give it up... ever! Good luck to you in your training!!
  • arc918
    Options
    BTW - run, run/walk, walk - all of it is good

I didn't mean to come off that harsh

part of depends on what your goals are

have fun and do whatever works for you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I just started running this past April and my sister turned me on to Galloway before I'd gotten too far into the C25K program. She's done quite a few marathons and halves with his method. As a beginner, a non-runner before this and (dare I say it) at my more advanced age for starting such a physically demanding sport, I think it's a great fit for me. I'm finding it to make running actually enjoyable when I always hated it, even at my most physically fit. I don't think I would have stuck with it this long if I'd been trying to run without walk breaks. I'm signed up for a 10K in late October and plan on doing it at my current 3 minute run / 1 minute walk pace.
  • paladeac
    Options

I simply stated my opinion, therefore it can't be incorrect.

I was questioning your assumption that it's a license to undertrain...

I train as hard as anyone. I went from a pelvis fractured in three places, unable to walk for five months, to running my first 5K in just 11 months. What I've realized is that I'm built for sprinting (I have enormous, muscular quads.) Therefore, doing short bursts makes a lot more sense for me in covering distance (and allows me to go faster) than just grinding it out.
  • curlytop89
    Options
    I have to say that when one of the doctors where I work mentioned this method to me I thought it was like giving up. I have run off and on since I was a teenager and I always felt that if I had to walk during a run, that I had failed, or was out of shape. When he first talked about it to me, I didn't really plan on trying it. I have always thought running very very slow was better than walking, but it does make sense when I look into it further. It's not like your walking for 5 minutes or something, just a short time. I think it is supposed to save your body and joints from some of the constant impact of running, especially on hard surfaces. I do worry that if I continue this method, then when and if I want to just run the whole way for 10 miles or whatever, that I will have trouble. I will cross that bridge when I get to it I guess. I have encouraged my husband to try it since he has a lot of joint pains when he gets running a lot. When I did my half marathon last year I know there were people that I saw walking during the race, that kicked my but in the later miles, maybe that's what they were doing....hmmm.
  • Baroness
    Baroness Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am doing week 1 day 3 of his Ultimate 10 k program today. I have the app on my iphone, and it tells me when to run and when to walk. I will be doing 8.8 kms (5.4 miles) on a 7 min / 20 sec interval.
    It makes running achievable and fun for me - my heart rate drops a bit in the intervals and Im not sore, or struggling with shin splints ( as I had been)
    Good on you to those running .......