New! Eat Calories You Burn

Options
I have searched on the message boards...but I still don't get it...
Why are we supposed to eat back the calories we burn...wouldn't that slower the process of losing weight if not stop it??? Is there an equation I am not understanding completely yet....

Thanks for the insight and wealth of info

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "I still see many people that are confused or "question" the idea of eating your exercise calories. I wanted to try (as futile as this may turn out to be) to explain the concept in no uncertain terms. I'll save the question of "eating your exercise calories" for the end because I want people to understand WHY we say to do this.

NOTE: I'm not going to use a lot of citation in this, but I don't want people thinking this is my opinion, I have put much careful research into it, most of which is very complicated and took a long time for me to sift through and summarize, and thanks to my chemical engineering backgroud I have the tools to read clinical studies and translate them (somewhat) into more human terms. Some of this information comes from sources I can't forward because they are from pay sites (like New England Journal of Medicine), so you can ask for anything, but I may or may not be able to readilly provide it for you (I can always tell you where to go if you want to though).

I'll break it down into 3 sections.
    Section 1 will be our metabolic lifecycle or what happens when we eat and how our body burns fuel.
    Section 2 will be what happens when we receive too much, too little, or the wrong kind of fuel.
    Section 3 will be the steps needed to bring the body to a healthy state and how the body "thinks" on a sympathetic level (the automatic things our body does like digestion, and energy distribution).

Section 1:
    Metabolism, in "layman's" terms, is the process of taking in food, breaking it down into it's components, using the food as fuel and building blocks, and the disposal of the poisons and waste that we ingest as part of it. Metabolism has three overall factors, genetics, nutrition, and environment. So who we are, what we eat, and how we live all contribute to how our metabolism works. You can control 2 of these 3 factors (nutrition, environment).
    When you eat food, it is broken down into it's component parts. Protein, vitamins and minerals are transported to the cells that need them to build new cells or repair existing cells. Fats(fatty acid molecules) and carbohydrates are processed (by 2 different means) and either immediately burned or stored for energy. Because the body doesn't store food in a pre-digested state, if you eat more carbs and fat then you need immediately, the body will save them for later in human fat cells (adipose tissue). This is important to realize because even if you eat the correct number of calories in a 24 hour period, if you eat in large quantities infrequently (more then you can burn during the digestion process), your body will still store the extra as fat and eliminate some of the nutrients. (Side note: this is why simple or processed carbs are worse for you compared with complex carbs)

Section 2:
    The human body has a set metabolic rate (based on the criteria stated above), this rate can be changed by overall nutritional intake over a period of time, or by increasing activity levels also over a period of time (the exact amount of time for sustained increase in metabolic rates is the subject of some debate, but all studies agree that any increase in activity level will increse the metabolism).
    It is important to note that obesity does not drasticly change the level of metabolic process, that means that if you become obese, you don't burn a higher fat percentage just because you have more to burn.
    The balance of incomming fuel vs the amount of fuel the body uses is called maintenance calories, or the amount of calories it takes to run your body during a normal day (not including exercise or an extremely lethargic day). The metabolism is a sympathetic process, this means it will utilize lower brain function to control it's level, it also means it can actively "learn" how a body is fitness wise, and knows approximately how much energy it needs to function correctly. It also means automatic reactions will happen when too much or too little fuel is taken in. Too much fuel triggers fat storage, adipose tissue expands and fat is deposited, also free "fat" cells (triglycerides) will circulate in the blood stream (HDL and LDL cholesterol). Too little fuel (again, over an extended period) triggers a survival mode instinct, where the body recognizes the lack of fuel comming in and attempts to minimize body function (slowing down of non-essential organ function) and the maximization of fat storage. It's important to note that this isn't a "switch", the body does this as an ongoing analysis and will adjust the levels of this as needed (there is no "line" between normal and survival mode.).
    When you're activity level increases, the human body will perform multiple functions, first, readily available carbohydrates and fats are broken down into fuel, oxydized, and sent directly to the areas that need fuel, next adipose (body) fat is retreived, oxydized, and transported to the areas it is needed for additional fuel, 3rd (and this is important), if fat stores are not easilly reachable (as in people with a healthy BMI where adipose fat is much more scarce), muscle is broken down and used for energy. What people must realize is that the metabolism is an efficiency engine, it will take the best available source of energy, if fat stores are too far away from the systems that need them or too dense to break down quickly, then it won't wait for the slower transfer, it will start breaking down muscle (while still breaking down some of that dense fat as well).

Section 3:
    The wonderful part of the human metabolic system is it's ability to adapt and change. Just because your body has entered a certain state, doesn't mean it will stay that way. The downfall to this is that if organs go unused over a long period, they can lose functionality and can take years to fully recover(and sometimes never).
    As long as there is no permenant damage to organ function, most people can "re-train" their metabolism to be more efficient by essentially showing it (with the intake of the proper levels and nutritional elements) that it will always have the right amount and types of fuel. This is also known as a healthy nutritional intake.
    Going to the extreme one way or the other with fuel consumption will cause the metabolism to react, the more drastic the swing, the more drastic the metabolism reacts to this (for example, a diet that limits fat or cabohydrate intake to very low levels). In general terms, the metabolism will react with predictable results if fuel levels remain in a range it associates with normal fuel levels. If you raise these fuel levels it will react by storing more fat, if you lower these fuel levels, it will react by shutting down processes and storing fat for the "upcomming" famine levels. The most prominent immediate issues (in no particular order) with caloric levels below normal are reduced muscle function, reduction of muscle size and density, liver and kidney failures, increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and gallstones .

Now onto the question of "Eating your exercise calories"

As I have hinted to throughout this summary of metabolic process, the body has a "range" in which it feels it is receiving the right amount of fuel. The range (as most doctors and research scientists agree) is somewhere between 500 calories above your maintenance calories and 1000 calories below your maintenance calories. This means that the metabolism won't drastically change it's functionality in this range, with that said, this is not exact, it is a range based on averages, you may have a larger or smaller range based on the 3 factors of metabolism stated at the top.
    On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it. If you enter exercise into your daily plan, the site automatically adjusts your total caloric needs to stay within that normal range (in other words, just put your exercise in, don't worry about doing any additional calculations). Not eating exercise calories can bring you outside that range and (if done over an extended period of days or weeks) will gradually send your body into survival mode, making it harder (but not impossible) to continue to lose weight. The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".

I really hope this puts a lot of questions to bed. I know people struggle with this issue and I want to make sure they have the straight facts of why we all harp on eating your exercise calories"
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    thank you....i will be reading very slowly to try to understand this...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP asks you a bunch of question when you started and gave you a caloric intake to lose your goal amount of weight/week. This amount ignores any exercise. When you exercise energy is taken away from everything else you body does, and a too large a restriction may lead to negative side effects. If you need to eat 2000 cals to maintain your wieight and want to lose a safe 1 lb/week MFP gives you 1500. Now if you burn 400 cals your maintenance is now 2400 for that day (2000+400) and to make sure your deficit stays the same you must eat 1900 that day to lose you 1 lb for the week.

Other professionals account for your exercise when giving you a caloric intake, which is almost always higher than what MFP will give you.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1850*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFP do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Credit to Taso42...long live Taso42 :o)
  • halleygruber
    Options
    I had this question too. The one thing that I figured out is that, at least for me, they start me off with 1200 calories today. That is the bare minimum you can eat without going into starvation mode. So when you exercise they add more because it is dangerous otherwise.
    But I will sometimes burn 800 calories so they have me eat in the 2,000. Which I think I should be eating more in the 1600. So I do not understand why they simply add all the calories you burned.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love the long scientific description. Although it's true, the main reason is twofold: (1) 'cause it works, and (2) why deprive yourself if you can avoid it. You'll have greater success over the long run if you don't deprive yourself.
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    Thank you all...
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The formular is, MFP sets you a calorie limit with a deficit of 400-600 calories approx depending on how much you are loosing a week. If you exercise you have a larger deficit. Too big a deficit is unhealthy and does not necessarily result in weight loss. Some people eat excercise calories and some do not. MFP was designed for you to eat them. People who have a lot of weight can handle a bigger deficit than those who are near there ideal weight.

I log everything and use a HRM for my calories burnt, I eat my exercise calories and I am loosing at my desired rate

Note, you will get lots of varied opinions on this!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    what kapeluza said
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation kapeluza; it was an interesting read, and it's probably the best explanation I've heard of why you need to eat your exercise calories back.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to understand too, so I'll be reading this later. I never used to eat back exercise calories when I was younger. But hey, if I can eat a little more...it's all good!:tongue:
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is excellent! I love a smart science person!
  • kellyw74
    Options
    I don't! Simply because caloire burn is sooooo overestimated and if I eat those calories I will end up eating too many calories most days and just doing more harm. So I don't and I lose fine.
    Kelly :wink:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    MFP asks you a bunch of question when you started and gave you a caloric intake to lose your goal amount of weight/week. This amount ignores any exercise. When you exercise energy is taken away from everything else you body does, and a too large a restriction may lead to negative side effects. If you need to eat 2000 cals to maintain your wieight and want to lose a safe 1 lb/week MFP gives you 1500. Now if you burn 400 cals your maintenance is now 2400 for that day (2000+400) and to make sure your deficit stays the same you must eat 1900 that day to lose you 1 lb for the week.

Other professionals account for your exercise when giving you a caloric intake, which is almost always higher than what MFP will give you.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1850*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFP do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.

Most awesome explanation ever lol. I didn't eat my eercise cal initially because I didn't understand how MPF....This is exactly how I figured it out
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has answered this, but let me put it into very simple terms.

Your body is like your car in that it needs fuel to run. For women, the minimum to start your body's engine and function for a normal day is 1200 calories.

Exercise is like a road trip. You're going to need more gas to get there than anywhere you normally go in a day. Not eating back your exercise calories is like driving on an empty tank. You may still get there, but if you run out of gas while your car will stop running, your body will keep going and put you into starvation mode. It will hang on to whatever fuel it has and cut non-essential systems to make the gas last. The result will be counter productive to weight loss.

As for this website, you'll find lots of argument both ways. From my personal experience, not eating back my calories doesn't stall my weight loss, it kills it. lol I may not eat back all of my calories I burned, but I try to be close. Usually I go over in anticipation of my exercise later. Experiment with it and see what happens. Since you're new, you'll be losing water weight/waste at first, as I did. Once all of that was gone, I hit starvation mode hard.

Do what works for you. Best of luck. :smile:
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Oh man... Another one!

Okay, lets say you eat 1200 calories a day, which is what MFP designates as the absolute minimum amount of calories you should eat a day to remain healthy. So, you go work out and burn 400 calories during that workout... That workout puts your 1200 calories in the red. Meaning, technically your body is now only running on only 800 calories. Sending your body into what MFP calls "starvation" mode. I believe there is some debate about starvation mode... If you google it, you will find muchos of information about it. When it comes down to it do you think your body thrive on only 800 calories a day? It can slow your metabolism down and hinder your weight loss in the long run. Not to mention you would not have much energy to work out, or do much of anything else for that matter.

I hope this helps...
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alee4nia
    Options