Blood sugar

topoku8638
topoku8638 Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2021 in Introduce Yourself
How to lower blood glucose levels naturally. Any advice from anyone about how to reduce my blood sugar numbers naturally.

Replies

• Ketomoijo
    Ketomoijo Posts: 89 Member
    Hi I used keto diet with diet doctor.com free 2 week challenge meal plan shopping list etc.

I no longer need metformin because my bloods are in the normal range and have been for 2 years now even though I’ve not stuck to keto the whole time.

Good luck
  • Gym0021
    Gym0021 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi,
    Keto can be a reasonable suggestion as would intermittent fasting. The answer and question are both as complex as diabetes itself. What are your HgA1c levels and how does this correspond to you daily values? What is your Body fat Mass Percentage? Lean Muscle Mass? Waist Size? Are you (M) or (F) all theses are important values and others, that will have a profound outcome on lowering blood glucose levels without the use of medications. Exercise (Walking) can also help lower blood glucose levels or certainly post prandial stop them spiking. Exercise, lose weight, lower carbohydrates in your diet that is, stay away from Rice, Bread, Pasta, Added Sugar, drop your Body fat Percentage to normal range, Intermittent fasting (Always consult a physician first) Avoid Alcohol and sugar loaded drinks, reduce stress, sleep adequate hours, overtime it will work if you work at it. I accomplished this and managed to stay off metformin for 10 years. Try following Dr. Jason Fung MD. Youtube.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    a general low carb diet and exercise (which will result in weight loss if you eat in an overall deficit) will help lower your sugar levels without any additional 'diet' needed (some of which can carry their own health risks if not done carefully). You need to think long term and what you can sustain essentially for the rest of your life.

Learn how to count calories, count (net) carbs (and how many per your doc you should be targeting), and you should see those numbers do down.

Educate yourself, but be wary of where that education comes from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Are you full diabetic or just pre? I had pre-diabetic numbers and basically regular exercise and losing some weight brought them down. I didn't do any special diet, but I did cut out full sugar sodas and cut back on sweets.
  • Marlie22
    Marlie22 Posts: 9 Member
    Regular exercise that raises your heartbeat. Also you could try the Mediterranean Diet but do it low carb like 100-150 carbs a day. Plus losing weight usually helps if you are overweight.
  • edallday
    edallday Posts: 1 Member
    My doctor has suggested that I better control my blood sugar (fasting glucose 100-105 & A1C 6-6.2). I’ve had a low card diet for years but have lowered my carb intake to 25-30% of calories. I exercise daily and my BMI is 24 but my glucose numbers aren’t improving with a Continuous Glucose Monitor. My biggest glucose spikes are at breakfast where my carbohydrate/ calorie % is about 35%. What can I do to get my blood sugar numbers down?
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 128 Member
    I'm also trying the low carb/Mediterranean style eating with regular exercise (when my back isn't being a pain). I am hoping to see results in my blood sugar at the end of the month. Been changing my way of eating for months but getting it done this Feb. This is what was suggested to me.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Fasting helps because it gives your body and blood-sugar management mechanisms a break - delay eating in the morning as long as you can so there’s a big gap between last nights dinner and today’s first meal. Alternatively, start the day with a protein powder drink mixed with water not milk - generally, it won’t increase your blood sugar if it doesn’t contain carbs.
    Get a blood sugar monitor and test your own blood sugar and track it in the app Sugr - it makes you aware of how your diet and behaviour affect your sugar levels.
    Go for a walk every day. Start small but build it up to 45 minutes. On the weekend, do a longer walk. Exercise basically uses up the sugar in your blood stream first for energy. This exercise also has a positive effect for days afterward (I know this from monitoring my own blood sugar).
    Add fibre to your main meal - it slows the breakdown of food into sugar. If you don’t want to eat more fibre then have a tablespoon of Metamucil just before your main meal.
    Eat fewer carbs until you are on a low carb diet. If you are not getting calories from carbs then you must get them elsewhere so boost your protein AND fat intake. It’s easiest to just do it one meal at a time. Try to figure out a breakfast, lunch and dinner recipe with only 30g of carbs in each. You could have more carbs in it if it is also very high in fibre as this slows digestion and blood sugar spikes.
    Try to eliminate potato chips and candy as snacks. You can eat deli meats, nuts, seasoned sunflower seeds, jerky. There will be all sorts of suggestions on MFP for low-carb snacks. If you overdo the carbs, it helps if you then go for a walk.
    Lose 10% of your weight if you are overweight. This will improve your blood sugar levels.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,030 Member
    For me it was going keto. I have been eating that way for 10 months, and for me it is still easy. HbA1C went from pre-diabetic to normal in a matter of months. Blood glucose numbers dropped in a matter of days and stayed down. Even the post meal increases reduced. Best of all, when I decided to have a meal for a special occasion such as say Christmas where I eat freely, my blood sugar only rises as much as a healthy person, and drops quickly. I will not stop eating Keto.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 4
    I'm not sure about fasting, numbers can be highest in morning even without eating since evening before (i.e. dawn syndrome) and other times much lower from exercise, so important to understand how your body is reacting to food, before/after meals and exercise... or if you encounter symptoms of high (thirst, blurry eyes) or low numbers ( agitation, confusion, sweats).

Seems a combo of food and exercise efforts overall can help, tips from diabetes team, good books. ... can help identify things to try....

For example, a brisk 10 min walk right after eating can help minimize the hikes and spikes (diabetes prevention magazine tip.)

Seems that certain foods fermented, citrus, vinager based dressing can help. Eating carbs towards end of meal after protein. Choosing low-glycemic foods (check out glycemic food scale.)

Losing perhaps 10% of weight.

A 20 min exercise workout combo of 10 mins aerobic followed by 10 mins strength, then cool down/stretching, may be more effective on bs for 24 hrs than only aerobic or only strength workouts (sorry, forgot source.) Daily or several times a week is helpful.

Perhaps books on dealing with diabetes without drugs if possible... for sure, exploring healthy options is worth it.