Serving size

Options
rlu1028
rlu1028 Posts: 23 Member
edited December 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
A number of years ago, I posted a question on MFP regarding what constitutes a serving size of an item packed in water. Almost all responses said that you weigh the item as well as the water. I contend that is not true, that the water is not included. Compare 2 cans of your favorite canned fruit packed in water; the likelihood of the item weight of both is very low, but the number of servings on the product label is the same.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,567 Member
    Options
    The BEST option is to get "real" tuna that is canned in a glass jar, only cooked during the canning process, and without anything else in it. Most canned tuna is cooked first then packed in a steel can and either water or some kind of oil added. That real tuna is a lot more expensive, but it's SO good. Only thing better is to buy some tuna off the boat in season and pressure can it yourself. So good.

For tuna in a steel can, I only get the kind in olive oil. Tastes so much better. Yes, it has more calories. It also has way more joy. The cans I buy have a total weight and a net (drained) weight. Serving size is "one can, drained."

I eat the oil, so I have to estimate how much there is or weigh it and add those calories to what's on the label.
  • rlu1028
    rlu1028 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What you say is true, but there are so many canned products that are packed in water. Fortunately, many are labeled indicating that the serving size is qualified as "drained." It's those pesky items of which their net weight doesn't reflect the actual product weight, but even if accurate for net, likely are not accurate for estimating intake.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    A rarely eat canned fruit these days (good access to fresh, blessedly), but I did eat it more often at one time. Very convenient and tasty. So, I decided to look up the nutrition info for Del Monte "Sliced Yellow Cling Peaches - No Sugar Added." The online info lists both cases, drained and undrained, so you can take your pick:

https://www.delmonte.com/products/fruits/peaches/sliced-yellow-cling-peaches-no-sugar-added

Do we miss the days of canned fruit in heavy syrup?