Weight loss goal!

Options
Hello all, I'm expecting the birth of my daughter (and first child) February 4 and I am trying to lose 16 KG by that time. I really need to stick to my goal this time as work tends to take over... Wish me luck and let me know if you want to join in on this goal!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,139 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you would do well to change your approach. 16kg (35lbs) in 2 months is extremely fast. You may see this kind of weight loss rate on shows like the biggest loser, but it's rarely a good idea in real life.

You will either starve yourself, reach your goal and then go back to 'eating like normal' and gain it all back. Or starve yourself and get health problems because of the deprivation. Or starve yourself and give up because it's too hard.

Better to take a long term view of things: small gradual changes, a moderate weight loss rate, building good habits that will serve you well for the rest of your life.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the pending newborn! How exciting! I'm a father of four, my youngest almost 14 now, but I still remember clearly the day of each of their births.

Second, an early February due date means you are in the final trimester. Now is the time for the baby to be gaining weight, not for you to focus upon losing weight. Unless your doctor has advised losing weight, I would seriously refrain from looking to lose, especially that much weight that fast. @Lietchi mentioned some of the concerns for you, but I'm also concerned that your attempt to lose weight will deprive your baby of crucial nutrients during a time she needs them most. If you want to work hard at losing weight after the birth, to get back to a pre-pregnancy weight, I'm all for it. But right now...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You are not clear...are YOU pregnant?
    The way you word it, it's hard to tell and the advice is VERY different.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's not clear whether you're the birthing parent or not, but I'll just +1 the advice that 16kg in 2 months is way too fast. Probably better to use those 2 months to build better habits that will lead to weight loss, so that by the time the baby drops like an adorable hand grenade on anything you have resembling a "routine," you have a better framework to rebuild from.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,276 Member
    Options
    Profile says OP is male.

OP: That's still too fast, not a great plan. Keep it moderate/reasonable, increase your odds of success and much more importantly increase your odds of staying healthy all the way up to the birth and beyond.

I had an episode of undereating, losing too fast (accidentally, in my case, because I'm one of the rare folks for whom MFP underestimates calorie needs). I felt good, energetic, not hungry . . . until BOOM, I didn't: I hit a wall, got weak and fatigued. Even though I corrected quickly, it took multiple weeks to recover normal energy and strength. (I was lucky. Much worse things can happen.**)

New babies are challenging, and you'll want every bit of your energy and strength as soon as that wonderful little one is in the house . . . interrupting your sleep, demanding feeding-changing-attention, even as your partner needs to rest and recover from giving birth.

You can lose weight and keep your energy and strength. Take a moderate approach, losing no more than 0.5-1% of then-current weight per week. If 16kg is the total amount you need to lose to be within a healthy weight range, definitely use the 0.5%.

Get some easy, practical, healthy habits grooved in, ones that lead you toward a healthy weight, but that are easy to sustain alongside the demands of your job, and the demands of the new baby to come. That's the way not to repeat a lose/regain or lose/give up past pattern.

If necessary, you can keep losing weight (at a nice moderate pace) after the baby has arrived. All the extra activity that will be required, that will help you burn a few more calories (but also need a few more to avoid burnout/health risk!).

Best wishes for consistent, reasonable weight loss, and a healthy, happy baby and home life!

**https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1
    Things that bad are thankfully quite rare, but they're possible. Don't chance it.