Coming to grips with BMI

Options
124»

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    A man can lift for three months and be at an overweight bmi while lean.

And you thought MY statement was hilarious? Okay.
    You vastly over estimate how many people are fit enough to break the BMI chart. Vastly.

And yes, ONLY professional athletes break the BMI chart. If someone is BMI 26 and lean, that's not breaking the chart, it's still a reasonable estimate. But if you're BMI 26 and lean, you're in extremely good shape, significantly better shape than 90% of the western population.

Give me an example that proves me wrong, and that example will be an outlier. Unless you are professional athlete, the BMI estimate is very, very good.

I'm not even sure if I should take you seriously, I can post pictures of myself at 18 years old with a bmi of 27 while lean. I was not a professional athlete just a regular dude who lift weights at the gym.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Even me, who defends BMI in all of these threads, has said many times that sporty young men are often healthy slightly above the upper BMI limit - ie with BMI 's up to about 28.
    They are not professional athletes, just active sporty young men.

That is not breaking the chart or being an outlier - it is slightly above the general limit for a sub set of the population.

Context matters - when I had a BMI of 28, my doctor, myself, any casual observer, could see it wasn't because I was a fit sporty young man, it was because I was a middle aged not very active plain old overweight female.