Healthy food shopping on a tight budget

Options
I'm extremely low on cash, but I need to eat! I plan on using coupons, looking for the best deals, and signing up for a rewards card. Any advice you can give on shopping with a tight budget?

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Use the bulk food section in your grocery store! It is so much cheaper than buying things already packaged (for most things). I get things like brown rice, dried beans, oatmeal, nuts, etc. :)
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    I know it doesn't sound great, but beans and rice are very economical and with some seasoning, can be very tasty. I eat them at least 5 days a week. Good luck!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Work out what veggies are in season and use them.

GG
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    do they have farmers markets where you are?

we get all our fresh fruit and veg at the markets. so much better and so much cheaper.

where i am they do it every sunday morning at the local drive in theatre.

costs 1.50 to get in and then like $50 bucks for enough f&v to get us (family of 4) through a fortnight.
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    canned black beans.
    canned tomatos.
    jasmine brown rice.
    eggs.
    chicken.
    canned tuna.

if there is a farmers market, hit them up. i really only eat produce on sale, especially if i get them from a grocery store. really, two or 3 apples, a thing of bananas, [grapes if they're on sale] a few oranges or nectarines will last me a whole week especially if i eat normal or semi normal meals.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Use the bulk food section in your grocery store! It is so much cheaper than buying things already packaged (for most things). I get things like brown rice, dried beans, oatmeal, nuts, etc. :)

I've always thought this too, but on our most recent shopping trip I found that the the store had packaged some of their bulk items (dried fruits and nuts) and they were actually cheaper than putting them into the bags myself.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Get split chicken breasts instead of boneless skinless. Doesn't take much to cut them out and will save some money. Buy freezer bags and when you catch real good sales buy as much as you can. Get a salad spinner. I have bought the expensive ones but it broke after a few months. I found one at the dollar store cheap and it has lasted longer and cost a couple bucks. When you put lettuce in these it lasts much longer than a bowel, due to the way it is vented. I am not sure what area you live in but we have a few discount stores like, Ollies and Big Lots. I always find salad dressings there that are light, fat free or reduced calorie.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Find some soup, chili or stew recipes that you can eat on for days. Those can usually be made economically. If you have an Aldi or Sav-a-lot nearby, those are good places to get cheap staples. If you have a bread thrift store near you, you can get Bagel thins & breads for a fraction of what they charge at the grocery store. Also, Peanut Butter!!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm really big into couponing and money saving. We are a family of 5 and only have one income since I am a stay at home mom. I have found the best money savings requires some time on your part, but if you don't buy a lot of packaged pre made food you can save a lot of money. Things like regular oats eggs, and dried beans are super cheap, healthy and easy to make. Someone earlier mentioned buying regular chicken breasts and removing the skin and bone yourself. That is super easy to do and often you can find chicken breast on sale for under $1 per pound. Also when stores have cereal, pasta, crackers and other such staples on sale I usually find the healthier whole grain versions are also included in the sale and coupons apply to them too. I live in Indiana and I love going to the farmers market in the summer and getting great deals, but the rest of the year I have to buy my produce in store because of the climate here. I will stock up when prices are cheap in the summer on berries, and then freeze them to make healthy smoothies in the winter when a pint of berries costs upwards of $4. I also buy seasonal on sale produce for my family, so we always have a variety of produce, but not all at the same time. I also play the drug store game at CVS pretty heavily to get my personal and household items for free so I can apply more of my groccery/household/personal items budget to produce. A great site that I love is www.moneysavingmom.com she has store matchups, posts her healthy family menus every week and even did a series on doing p90x on a budget including recipes for her own protein shakes and bars. Good luck! Don't let your finances hold you back from taking care of yourself. You will either pay for your health now or pay later with expensive medical bills and perscriptions. :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Build your menu for the week around sale items.
  • lmethven
    Options
    I also found planning my meals helped as well, it meant a) I did not buy impluse buys b) meant I could buy and cook in bulk and freeze meals for the following weeks.

I am in the UK and not sure if you can but I also found by growing some veg (tomatoes, letteuce, potatoe and beans) cut my food bills down. I also try and bulk my meals up with extra veg, beans and lentils (again all cheap products) so that everything goes further.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Do you have Aldi where you are? They have great prices and they've started to carry some of my staples, like light string cheese, light mini babybel cheese, unsweetened almond milk, plain unsweetened greek yogurt, high fiber cereals, etc.
  • sameheartnewbeat
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses. I am currently living Pennsylvania as I go to school here. I've been going to Giant Food Store, but I'm also aware there is an Acme nearby too. I wish they had a Costco or BJs close like in New Jersey :\
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your supermarkets do reductions but if they do you can get your meals daily from there very cheap! You'll have to go daily to do this as the food goes off that day or the next but you can make an absolutely massive saving doing this. I did this for 1 week as a student when I was close to a supermarket, they reduced to the fullest at 11pm and I used to just grab lots of stuff and freeze it or cook it and then eat it a couple of days later. I think I had a weeks worth of food for £9!
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, cook all my meals, and love it. The Clean Eating magazine website has a section of budget recipes (usually around $2 per serving) that I make a few times a week.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Budget-Recipes.aspx
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I agree with buying in bulk or hitting up the farmers market.
    I have a market where I live, I can buy a huge bunch of local spinach for $1.50, if I buy a bag of it at Publix its a lot more!
    Also frozen veggies. Usually cheaper and last longer.
    Beans are always great too and soups are always cheap to make.
    Planning also helps. That way you can buy certain foods and not waste them.
  • Jam5021
    Options
    Also, a good thing to do is make large batches of these things soups, burrittos, veggie burgers (I am a vegetarian) and then freezing them... you can calculate the calories before hand and they just pop the healthy, homemade food in the microwave when you need something fast.
  • mamanda12
    mamanda12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To save money I have started cooking "batches" on Sunday for the entire week. Yes, I basically eat the same thing for the entire week (lunch) but it seems to work for me. For example this week I made a pasta dish; whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, zucchini, yellow squash and ricotta cheese. This meal costs about $2.00 and contains about 300 calories for 1 &1/2 cups.
    Next week I am going to do brown rice, beans, tomatoes, peppers and turkey sausage.
    Planning is key! Watch the ads and plan your meals based on sales.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to buy what is on sale and in season in terms of produce. The grocery store I shop at has "ad previews" that is puts out a few days before the ad starts and I like to look at those to see what produce is on sale next and if I should buy something this week or wait until next week when the ad starts. Also, it's usually cheaper to buy the produce that isn't already pre-cut for you. Yes, you do have to spend some time cutting and chopping, but it's actually cheaper. Look for this with carrots and celery. Buy a head of lettuce instead of the bagged salad -- it's cheaper and it lasts MUCH longer. I have found that if I take care of prepping my produce right when I get home from the store, I will actually take care of it and then eat it. Also, try to buy produce that is in-season, as it will be cheaper. I also buy frozen veggies quite often. It's a lot cheaper and I can stock up when it's on sale. The nutrition content of frozen veggies is also very high, and you avoid the sodium that comes from canned veggies.

I agree with some other posters -- see if you can use some of the coupons for the healthier versions of various foods.
  • pam933
    pam933 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can you give the recipe/directions for this dish? "pasta dish; whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, zucchini, yellow squash and ricotta cheese."

It sounds really good!