Hi, anyone else been on here 3 days?

Options
HI everyone, I've been on MFP for 3 days and it's great so far! It's so friendly and motivational.
I always thought I could track my eating and exercise by myself on an excel spreadsheet... needless to say I never did. Am hoping that MFP will give me the motivation to lose 20lbs and then reassess. I feel like MFP "expects" me to note it all down, therefore I can't cheat ;)

Confession time - I'm feeling a bit worried about tonight - my first Friday night on MFP. Friday night is social night - after work drinks, friends, late night. I'm actually dreading the drinking, how stupid is that?! I want to see my friends but I know I'll end up drinking too much....and there goes the willpower not to eat junk.... my friends are great but if you refuse a drink they see it as a personal challenge to get you a drink... I'm going to have to be STRONG, it's going to be a real test. But it's my own choice, I know!

I really admire everyone on here and the experiences they've been through to get where they are :)

Replies

• miasota
    miasota Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been on here for 5 days and already finding it fantastic for tracking calories etc.

Like you I'm a bit worried about how much damage my Friday night beer will do!!!
  • tia67uk
    tia67uk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I only joined yesterday. Finding it very easy and fun to use. Good luck with your weight loss.
    Tina
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of having a whole bunch of drinks, you have one drink that takes you a reeeeeeeealllly long time to drink. When I go to bars, I will get a beer in a bottle and just hold it. That way people THINK that I'm drinking when I'm really not. You could try to tell them that you are choosing a healthy lifestyle and any drinks they buy for you is a waste of money and effort. It might be a bit awkward at first, but they won't try to buy you drinks anymore! Good luck!
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just get one "foofy" drink and sip on it all night.. preferably something like vodka and seltzer. Low'er' cal because its seltzer. Or just one beer, a single beer doesnt have anymore calories than a can of coke.
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi! This site is great for support and encouragement! The Friday night drinks with friends, I can understand the pressure, but again if they are true friends they will support you new lifestyle and choices. I know it sounds like Blah, Blah, Blah, but if you really explain it to them as you can't drink with them every Friday night, than they may surprise you with their positive actions in turn.

Good Luck and feel free to add me for support and encouragement. WE ALL NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to go out with my friends too. I drink diet pop and dance the night away! I burn a ton of calories and I don't put any into my body. As for friends pushing drinks. Stand your ground and tell them that you really need their support right now on your weight loss journey. My friends eventually started ordering me diet drinks.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you want to enjoy your Friday night. Enjoy it. Pending how long you have been on your regimine, you need to "trick" the body now nd then. If you haven't been for long, then may I suggest Vodka Tonics all night? Little to nothing on the Cal intake :) The mixers in drinks are what kill ya when it comes to calorie intake. And if you are like most, the next morning. LOL
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You could always offer to be the DD and then maybe they won't pressure you.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It will just take you and your friends some time to get used to it... Use diet soda or tonic as a mixer and drink slowly. Alternate glasses of water with drinks. And go somewhere where you can dance! When someone tries to buy you a drink, ask them to dance instead. You'll end up burning more than you take in.
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a good start! I found that the MFP barcode scanner on my smartphone worked on wine coolers I was drinkiing at a party recently. I didn't have enough to cause me to lose control of my eating, although that IS an issue I have experienced in the past. What REALLY surprised me was the caloric load I was consuming in the liquid! So beware -- if you are going to splurge on alcohol remember that it can cost your food plan in more ways than one.
  • JCTJCT
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the replies and advice.
    I live in the UK where there is such a massive drinking culture and huge pressure to get into rounds in the pub. I'm not even that into drinking any more (well I'm not 20-something any more!!) as I don't like the out-of-control feeling it gives me. I'd rather have a glass of good wine than loads of bad ones. I want to break out of that drinking cycle for more reasons than just my weight.
    I'm definitely going to try: keeping hold of one drink for longer, switching to water in between drinks, choosing vodka and tonic and DANCING!!
    Makes it all seem like fun rather than pressure! Thanks everyone so much :)
  • crocakahe
    crocakahe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for 4 days...Keep a glass of diet drink in your hand tonight. Also save up some of those calories during the day for the night snacks...You can have fun without being tipsy! And you feel much better in the morning! And remember...the Dancing will give you a few extra calories for the day!

My issue isn't the Beer, its the Candy Corn! LOL

11123229.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sanora42
    Options
    Hi, I've been here 3 days as well. My first day was pretty eye opening because I saw how many calories I was really eating when I thought I was doing "ok".

Tonight I'm going out to a bar and my plan is to eat dinner before I go out so I'm full by the time I get to the bar and hopefully that will mitigate my bar snacking. And in between drinks, under the guise of not wanting a hangover I plan on drinking a glass of water. I'm hoping the full of liquid sensation will quell some my drinking to a minimum. In addition to that my drink of choice will be a vodka and diet tonic with lemon since diet tonic is sugar and calorie free. That's my plan.

Happy Friday everyone and I wish you strength and conviction in keeping with your MFP goals.

Sandra

11146215.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter