Battle of the belly buldge

Options
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to trim down the belly. I have had 3 kids and my tummy is out of control. That's my biggest problem area. I've done crunches and bla bla bla, but I didn't know if you guys had aything that really made a difference. Please let me know!!!

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    I am having (somewhat) of the same problem minus the kids. I am starting by just doing cardio workouts: treadmill, elliptical, biking. After I get better with those I will start the ab training and muscle defining at my gym. I think focusing on the stomach right away won't work- you have to start of with just fitness and then focus on the problem areas in my opinion.
  • tmstp6207
    Options
    I would love to know too :-/ I've had 2 C-sections, the latest being just a month ago, and I've got more jiggle than I did after my 1st.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, too. Have had 4 c-sections, and my belly pooch is a mess! I think core exercises help, in addition to any crunches (and, of course, cardio to burn the fat). I've been trying to focus on my core more, now that I'm doing Insanity, and have really noticed my whole stomach area feeling "tighter." It just takes time.......Good luck!
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options
    I found this really great site that shows you exercises for whatever area you want to work. Enjoy!

http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise-finder/c_266/
  • lottywood
    lottywood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hate my belly, it is my biggest issue. I am trying to loose weight everywhere to start as you can't spot target. Belly's are known to be the last part of you to start changing.....i'm guessing its going to be a long time before i'm happy with it. But hopefully i'll get there!!
  • MsPandaJEF
    Options
    I'm kind of doing the same thing as kassied09. I am focusing on cardio exercises like the elliptical machine to burn the calories and fat. It is good to do some core strengthening because it will help your performance in running. Good luck with everything! You can do it! :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I spent 6 months cutting calories and trying to do lots of cardio and strength training. I dropped 9.6lbs and still had a belly.

I went Primal at the end of April (dropped my carbs: stopped eating grains, flour, sugar, legumes, and no more milk). I increased my fat intake (especially saturated fat) to about 70% of my calories but stopped counting calories; just tracked carb and protein grams and didn't worry about how much fat, only the type of fat) I dropped 9.8lbs in 4 months - bodyfat and more water since carbs make you retain water. I maintained my lean muscle mass (my muscle definition showed up!) with less exercise - and LOST MY BELLY. You can't spot reduce - wouldn't that be nice.

I follow Primal Blueprint (Mark's Daily Apple). Sugar is still a battle. If I start eating those kinds of carbs again the belly starts showing back up - regardless of how much exercise I do or the type. I get my carbs through veggies and the occasional berry (low in sugar).

Cardio - especially excessive intense cardio - will eat into your lean muscle mass, not body fat. Strength training (lift heavy things) will do more for burning fat. I also follow Primal Blueprint Fitness(one 20-minute sprint interval once every 7-10 days. Lift heavy things 2x a week - I use my own body weight. And moving at a slow pace 3-5 hours a week - this is just staying active - housework, gardening, a nice leisurely walk, etc.). You're more than welcome to take a look at my pics. They are public.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I'm definitely an apple and I've always battled the belly bulge! I think there are a couple of things that contribute the bulge, so you have to have a multi-prong approach. Cardio is critical for fat reduction--can't get around it. Weak muscles and bad posture also contribute to the bulge, so core training and lengthening exercises like yoga really help me. I also discovered that I have sensitivity to gluten and some other foods, and since eliminating them from my diet, my belly is less distended. (unfortunately for me, when I eat certain foods, my stomach becomes distended so far that I look about 8 months pregnant. Although, I almost always get offered a seat on the metro, so maybe that is one perk. :laugh: )
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also. After two c-sections the last one 11 years ago i it seems that the belly is here to stay . I am convinced it is the air that seeped in while surgery. Lol.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Okay, from experience, this is what has given me the most effective results:
    FULL BODY STRENGTH TRAINING.
    Cardio is good for calorie burn, but it's not going to give you that 'tight' feeling.
    Here's a routine:
    2 rounds of:
    20 squats
    20 bent over rows
    20 deadlifts

1 round of:
    20 lunges
    20 bicep curls
    20 lunges
    20 upright rows

1 round of:
    20 backwards lunges
    20 chest press
    20 back lunges
    20 skull crushers (tricep extension)

Then, when you're done with all this, move on to the abs:
    1-2 rounds of:
    20 calf raises
    20 side bends (holding a weight in one hand, bend sideways towards that hand and contract your back musles and obliques to be upright again)
    20 bicycles
    20 bridges
    20 reverse crunches

finish by holding a plank for as long as you can. If possible, you can hold the plank and bring your knees to your chest, alternating legs.

When I did this 3 days a week, my waistline shrank so much. I wasn't even losing weight: I just looked skinnier.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I am having (somewhat) of the same problem minus the kids. I am starting by just doing cardio workouts: treadmill, elliptical, biking. After I get better with those I will start the ab training and muscle defining at my gym. I think focusing on the stomach right away won't work- you have to start of with just fitness and then focus on the problem areas in my opinion.

I totally agree
  • lizmcdowall
    lizmcdowall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got same problem but have significantly improved through; weight loss, cardio and pilates. Find your self a good instructor, and you'll start seeing results quite quickly:smile:
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A clean diet is essential for flat abs. Cut out processed foods. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean cuts of meat, nuts, seeds, etc. Stay to the outside of the grocery store; most of the heavily processed food is in the center aisles.

To get flat you have to burn fat: do HIIT (High intensity interval training) Go 30 seconds all out, then 90 seconds recovery. It will blast fat and allow those abs you know you have to appear.

I did all of these things and I was able to acheive flatness. But also remember that every body is different...I am 140lbs and 5'7. For other height, weight, body shape, etc it may take longer or might not. The main thing is don't give up. :)
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options

I am trying this as well
  • littlequinns
    littlequinns Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'll have to try that:)
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I totally agree
    agree with this
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, the most important thing is your diet, maintain a caloric deficit and you will slim your belly
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and there are many of them on this site, but IMO, you won't get a small belly or flat stomach w/o reducing your body fat %.

That said, I also found that belly fat was directly related to hormones. I had hormone testing done through saliva and connected it to my estrogen levels being way out of balance with my progesterone and cortisol. All relate to belly fat.

I had a hysterectomy in June, I laugh that I never thought I would have a flat stomach, but that did it. I'd had problems for years and years, and simply never knew just how large and belly bulge my uterus caused. I finally had a flat stomach no matter how much hard work I put into it, and went down a full pants size in the process of recovery.

I'm sure it's not a solution for everyone, but I had to get outside the box to find my flat stomach. Now, ever after 2 kids, it's absolutely flat as it was when I was a teen.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I follow the 80/20 rule...

abs are carved in the kitchen. 80% of your body composition is because of your diet. I eat as clean as possible. when I cheat.. the belly comes back out until I flush it all out w/ a good water intake for a few days.

now onto the 20% .. if you're doing just cardio, you need to add some ab/lower back work in there. it'll tighten up those muscles.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    My son says, "Jumping jacks, running, twisting your upper body, & 3 or 4 x's a day flex your stomach muscles."

S.W. 234 (Aug. 5, 2011
    C.W. 227
    G.W. 125

"O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together." Psalm 34:3

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phillipians 4:13