Triceps exercises and elbow pain

Options
Hello all--I've been doing a weightlifting routine for awhile now and things are going great. However, one of the problems I've had forever and again now, is elbow pain when I'm doing triceps exercises. When I do a cable triceps pushdown with the rope attachment, it's not too bad as long as my form is good. I tried another exercise yesterday that gave me a lot of pain. The lying one-arm extension. I used a light weight but still had some issues. They don't bother me on other exercises, nor when I play hockey. But it seems any isolation exercises for them makes my elbows scream! Any advice or recommendations?
Thanks

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The straps you wear around the top of your forearm for tennis elbow pain might help you. You might also benefit from someone taking a look at your form - the lying extension is pretty easy to misjudge and then the elbow will be more prone to play up. Also, if it hurts - STOP and do something else that doesn't hurt. Kickbacks might be OK, or even push ups (keeping arms close to your sides to hit the triceps)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, don't do it. At least not like that!

Speak to a trainer or PT. It's amazing the stuff I've learned over time. Certain common exercises are really hard on the joints and ligaments and better versions can be substituted. Knowledge is key, and it's worth paying for.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Seconding on talking to a PT, and thirding that you should not do anything that hurts.

I noticed you said it doesn't hurt with strict form. That might be the crux of it. You may need to lower your weights and focus on form+auxiliary for a while. A PT is the best solution. They can check your form, and recommend some alternatives.