Recommend a protein powder with minimal calories?

Options
I have nearing the end of shedding 45 pounds of bloated fat. I have a few pounds to go yet. I have also started strength training as at 55 years old I think I have lost some muscle due to aging, and didn't have much to start with as I have a thin frame.

I still want to keep my calories under control, although will begin eating more once I bottom out in a few more pounds. I'd like to increase protein intake with a powder that doesn't add on too many calories. I will be adding this to oatmeal and smoothies or sometimes pancakes.

A few I looked at on Amazon had a ton of calories which I don't want.

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    A quality whey protein should be fine.
    If you really want the lowest calories then a pure isolate.

Avoid Amazon and have a look at the established brands, optimum nutrition , MTS , my protein etc

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The calories are going to depend on how much protein is being provided per serving by the supplement. Protein is 4 calories per gram...there's no way of getting around that. As suggested, I'd skip Amazon. I'm partial to Optimum Nutrition and Muscle Pharm on the occasion (rare) that I supplement.

The ON whey isolate is likely going to be the lowest at 120 calories per serving...that's about as low as you're going to get. Muscle Pharm is 140...for me it's worth the extra 20 calories because I think it tastes better than ON, particularly the MP cookies and cream...but ON is a close second.
  • auburneng1
    auburneng1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Humapro. Been using it for years!
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Protein is 4 calories per gram...there's no way of getting around that.

Thanks, that explains a lot!

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, isolate will be your go-to. I've seen protein powders that are 20g per serving and 80 calories (i.e. 100% of calories are protein). IMO ON is overpriced and more about the name. MyProtein has isolate that's much cheaper and Isolate that's 22g/90 cal or "clear isolate" which is 20g/80 cal.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Just to add if your adding isolate the other ingredients then it’s pretty much pointless and a waste of the extra cost over whey
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    PEScience is my favorite and is only 120 calories. ON, Body tech, amd Quest are also good and similar calories
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    i keep a spreadsheet list of "concentrates" and buy in bulk on sale, on the basis of grams per dollar. I've used protein for some years as you do, usually with milk, yogurt, oatmeal mixed with a variety of other tasty and calorie-laden things. On that basis important considerations for "taking it straight" with water - the mass market flavorings, mixability - are much less important. Incremental calorie differences are nominal for those uses, and most use sweeteners: Sucralose reportedly might aggravate joint inflammation, I haven't noticed, Stevia is reportedly better that way.)

The price difference between "concentrates" (blends of harmless nutrients with around 60% to 70% whey) and "Isolates" (around 90% whey) generally doesn't justify buying the latter, any more than the photographs of steroid-doped fitness models on the labels. The industry-created dog's breakfast of whey formulas, scoop sizes, jar sizes and price disparities make the industry a joke in my book, hence the spreadsheet that calculates whey for the buck for the brands I've tasted and been satisfied with.

In this last year I've been trialing Creatine supplement (5g / day) with increased exercise, jury still out on it. But I have noticed some whey protein blends adding 5g of Creatine per scoop - fine if taking one scoop a day but I don't want 10 or 15 grams of Creatine a day from morning oats and snacking. Finally, I don't cook whey protein - I mix with milk or yogurt, berries, etc. in cooked oats.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I get isopure, Orgain,Vega, and Just Hemp from walmart. Depending on what my budget allows for the week. When adding them in MFP calls them all "High Protein" .

Just Hemp has near the same protein and fiber, but tbh tastes about like dirt and doesn't stay mixed unless I use the blender.
  • myfurturelooksgood
    Options
    I have used Orgain Organic Protein powder for 8 months to supplement my protein intake. 2 scoops is 150 calories and can be mixed with water. However, I use 8 oz. Silk and 8 oz. water with mine.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have used Orgain Organic Protein powder for 8 months to supplement my protein intake. 2 scoops is 150 calories and can be mixed with water. However, I use 8 oz. Silk and 8 oz. water with mine.

If I am not using the just hemp I use water. If I am using it I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.