Ebike vs road bike

Options
Davidjohnson9333
Davidjohnson9333 Posts: 32 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a nice cannondale road bike and really enjoy riding it. I can often exceed 25mph on the down hill, but I get nervous about the speed. I’m also in pretty decent shape, so up hills are not horrible but still not “enjoyable”.

I’m thinking of buying an ebike. Hopping to get a “motorcycle-like” or “golf cart” enjoyment without going either of those routes. I’m wondering how much more fun an ebike would be compared to my normal bike…. Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Here is the one I’m looking at after about an hour of research. Not sure it fits my need since it looks a little bulky for an enjoyment bike. But it’s in my price range..

https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-level-commuter-ebike

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist and sometimes mountain biker and just enjoy riding. I would consider an E-bike for commuting purposes as one of my offices is about 30 miles away each way and the other is 15 each way, but that's about it for me. I live in a small village community outside of a metro area and use my hardtail MTB as my "village cruiser" to go down to the market or the brewery or whatever, so I could see using an e-bike for something like that as well...but mostly I ride to ride because I love to ride and at least at this point in my life, an e-bike would serve little purpose. Maybe when I get older and can't ride like I can now, but want to continue cycling...I might consider that.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    All of them are beefy / steel and heavy with mostly 2" tires. Mine is 50 lbs. and has + 10 lbs. of battery, on a nice rear rack. It is good for about 40 miles, full assist. You can get more milage by turning motor assist off, some of the time. It has a rear cassette with 5 gears. I got a "WAVE" beach bike model. Visit their Webb site and look / leave, several times. They will send you a $ 300 off voucher. It is fun to ride.
  • Davidjohnson9333
    Davidjohnson9333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    All of them are beefy / steel and heavy with mostly 2" tires. Mine is 50 lbs. and has + 10 lbs. of battery, on a nice rear rack. It is good for about 40 miles, full assist. You can get more milage by turning motor assist off, some of the time. It has a rear cassette with 5 gears. I got a "WAVE" beach bike model. Visit their Webb site and look / leave, several times. They will send you a $ 300 off voucher. It is fun to ride.

Thanks! Is it much more fun than just riding your normal bike? Can you give me a sense for the “enjoyment” difference between an ebike and a normal bike? I don’t have any ebike locations here and would be buying from the internet having never tried one…
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have both a mountain bike and e-bike. I use my e-bike to commute to work, go shopping etc. (Got rid of my car). I love it. I can choose how much pedal assist I use...more uphill, less on the flat! It's perfect when it rains as I can get home really quickly compared to my normal bike 🙂
    I have only used my mountain bike once since buying my e-bike and that's because the trail we were doing was quite rough.

In terms of enjoyment I probably prefer the e-bike because I can control my work rate. I don't like getting to work sweaty. However, I don't use it specifically to add exercise to my day....I run and walk for that. So the bike is just to get me from "a" to "b".
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a road bike and a car. The bike is fun, the car is a chore.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Love it, @NorthCascades!!!!!