Sleep aids that are not melatonin or ZMA?

Options
I love my ZMA but I've read I should cycle off of it once in a while.

I absolutely hate melatonin, it leaves me groggy.

Does anyone recommend any other other over the counter sleep aids? I don't need anything strong, I just need to take the edge off since I usually exercise late at night.

Replies

• michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What's ZMA? I'm not familiar.

I use the store brand version of simply sleep. I've been using that for over a decade. I've never tried melatonin, but have heard it can be hit or miss as far as actual aiding sleep.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Penny_Loafers

ZMA is zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B. Magnesium is the component that helps with sleep as it's a mild muscle relaxant. Zinc is great for the immune system, and the combo of all three is said to help with male health in older guys.

Diphenhydramine sounds like it might be a bit heavy for what I'm hoping for (that's basically benadryl), but thank you for the recommendation. Just hoping to find something a little more 'light weight' that won't leave me feeling groggy.

People build up a resistance to melatonin pretty quick, but it leaves me feeling groggy in the morning, and dependent if I don't cycle off.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you train then ZMA should be a staple not just for sleep aid, you can cycle gaba, melatonin and they do a natural version of Diphenhydramine which you could possibly try.

• dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @watts6151 the gaba looks nice after reading on it a bit, thanks for the recommendation! I will order some so I can cycle off the zma for a few weeks.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I find a low dose of CBD (25 mg gummy) works as a sleep aid. It helps my anxiety calm down and reduces nightmares. I take melatonin, but only as needed, not every day. I'm also on regular magnesium, zinc, and B-12 supplements, but they aren't specifically for sleep. (PPI absorption issues and macular degeneration.)
  • rungirlrun500
    rungirlrun500 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find a low dose of CBD (25 mg gummy) works as a sleep aid. It helps my anxiety calm down and reduces nightmares. I take melatonin, but only as needed, not every day. I'm also on regular magnesium, zinc, and B-12 supplements, but they aren't specifically for sleep. (PPI absorption issues and macular degeneration.)

What brand of CBD do you use?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Smoke some weed. Marijuana ALWAYS makes me sleepy. Hence I haven't used it in a decade.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

Does anyone recommend any other other over the counter sleep aids? I don't need anything strong, I just need to take the edge off since I usually exercise late at night.

No over the counter sleep aids to recommend, but you might try a relaxing hot shower and muscle relaxation exercises (lie down and tense then relax your muscles, working from your feet up to your head and facial muscles).
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Valerian root and Benadryl after a 20 minute bath in lavender epsom salt. Don't need much in the bath
  • Holland121
    Holland121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that Wal-som, the Walgreen's generic sleeping aid works well. i've also use 1/2 a tablet of Ambient for 3-4 nights only (you become not addicted but dependent on Ambien). Both work well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Lots of other sleep aids have made me groggy, but never melatonin, so I have to wonder about your brand/strength.

I take 2 mg of Source Naturals timed release:
    https://www.iherb.com/pr/source-naturals-melatonin-timed-release-2-mg-240-tablets/1337
    Here are more options:
    https://www.iherb.com/c/source-naturals?rank=0melatoninmelatoninmelatonin&swkw=melatonin

But more importantly for my sleep, I take a tincture of something that is legal in my state, and that's all I can say about it ;)