Bikers: What do you do in the winter months?

Options
OK, this cold snap has me dreading winter. I'm so happy taking long bike rides and plan to do it until the ground makes it too hard to do. My question for you hardcore bikers is what do you do in the months you can't ride outside to keep your biking stamina up? I don't want spring to come around a feel like I'm going to die after 5 miles. Suggestions?

Replies

• beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Spinning?
  • smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just bought a spinning bike on overstock.com. BRING ON THE SNOW!!
  • kassied09
    Options
    Get a cheap indoor bike from goodwill, or join your gym!
  • smallerme88
    Options
    Live in Central California.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

Or miami fl lol:tongue:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I get exceedingly cranky. By February my family is ready to kill me. But I have a bike trainer. I put my bike on that and ride while I watch TV. But I don't really like it. I hate spinning. For some reason, sitting in the regular biking position but not going anywhere is really uncomfortable for me. I like to use the recumbent bikes at the gym. Those aren't bad. Also weight training to keep my leg muscles strong. Lots of squats for my quads and swiss ball leg curls for my hamstrings. And planks for my core.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't really stop riding but n England we don't get extreme weather conditions, one thing you could do is get a Turbo trainer and go from there, you don't have to do hours and hours on it to keep up the fitness but, you will lose some fitness come spring. I tend to do interval sessons that last anywhere up to an hour and half and they seem to work fine for me, when I can't get out due to weather.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

HAH! I lived in Orange County, and biking was THE ONLY THING I liked about it. I'm a midwest corn bred girl at heart. Now SF area might be an option. DH and I are talking about moving somewhere warmer when the economy neutralizes and we can sell our house!
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A lot of places in OC make it difficult for a newbie to ride due to the hills... obnoxiously annoying and painful hills, at least where I am.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you've got some extra cash, get a trainer to turn your bike into a stationery.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I live where the weather isn't too extreme in the winter and plan on riding all year. I also have a trainer stand for when I don't wish to brave the idiots in cars in bad weather.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to live in southern CA so I can ride year round, However, spin is a nice bang for your buck, calories-wise. It's not the same as road-riding, nor is it meant to be, however it'll keep you in the saddle and burning cals.

blessings.